View Single Post
Old 21-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level
Default Porting & Polishing

Dropped the heads off to be serviced today and was having a discussion about porting my heads.

After a lengthy discussion it was made clear to me that unless you're trying to squeeze every last drop of potential power out of your vehicle or essentially hooking in a field where every single piece of equipment has to honed and engineered there's no real point having this done.

Basic overview of conversation would be I can go through and see if there are any irregularities and smoothen everything out, but there are better things you can do with your money to get better performance out of your vehicle 'potentially might be able to get an extra 10% more performance out of the motor', and basically stated that porting is more beneficial for naturally aspirated motors.

Having a look at some of the work he had in his factory at that time, and checking out his RX5 Rotary I have no issues in taking his word.

My question is then, for something that can be quite expensive why do members on this forum get the work undertaken.

'this is not a because I can type question, I'm interested in your thought process behind getting it done'.

Personally for what its worth I've decided against it.

Polishing is apparently not something that will give any real gains either 'and note I am not an engineer in thermodynamics, but it was made mentioned that a courser finish allows everything to mix better.

Cheers,