View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

ASG tuned mine... did a great job! Sean has tuned a fair few cars on E85.

Basically, i went the TMIC/E42.5 combo (50:50 E85 and U98), and compared to my FMIC/U98 tune, it made same power as my last FMIC tune and 60nm more torque at a lot lower RPM. Made enough torque to snap my first ever driveshaft the other week, and I've done PLENTY of launches previously!

A few more facts:

- Straight E85 will probably not net any better results than running the E42.5 mix, because as far as I'm aware, the E42.5 is as ping proof as you'd need in a street car.. wind in as much timing as you like and it still won't ping.

- Its cheaper to run on half half E42.5, but a pain to mix (have to fill up a drum with exactly 19L of U98 and then drop it in with a pre-poured 19L drum of E85 to get the correct mix).

- E85 is more expensive on its own than running the fuel mix, but way more convenient.. although you could say that its negligible, as if you buy it in 205L drums, it ends up cheaper than buying it in 19L drums (which you need if you're running it 50:50 to get the mixtures right). If you have an accurate way of measuring exact amounts of each, then its going to be cheaper to run the mix by siphoning it out of the 205L drum rather than buying it in a pre-poured 19L drum.

- You'll need bigger injectors and pump for E85 (ID1000s and an 044) where as my Walbro and chop tops covered the fuel requirements for E42.5 easily.. this is the MAIN reason I run the mix, not straight E85.

-Fuel lines seem to cope with the E42.5 mix, can't speak for E85 in a Subaru though.