View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Scoobie Noobie

MaxAction at standard level

Howdy,

been a while since I've been on this forum, but someone just told me that you guys have real issues with the Brant systems and so I thought I have a look in. Some of you may still know me from running the MaxAction autokhana events at Belmont Park Raceway and also running Action Alarms, where we do car alarms & immobilisers.
Now we also used to install the Brant system for Subaru Australia in their compound just after the cars arrived in the country. No, thank God we didn't supply the systems, we just fitted them for Subaru.
Now because we installed them, we do know the systems pretty well. From our experience, most of the problems are with the keypad system! We have heard absolute strange stories of what they have done to your WRX's.
So when we first heard about the problems and because we installed the systems here in WA, at first we were interested to know if the problems were in anyway related to our quality of installation. However it was quickly established that it was the keypad system and not us! Because there were more and more keypad systems failing, we started to search for a solution to the problems and found a replacement system, which came up to our standards. By now we have been using the system just over four years and we are very please to say that from all the systems we exchanged we had an almost zero % comeback rate. To be exact we had one system fail, which was exchanged the next day with no problems ever since.
The keypad exchange system we use is of very much better quality and unlike the Brant keypad system is Australian Standard approved, hence the improved quality!
The PIN itself is programable, so there is no problem in you keeping the same PIN you are used to, we just need a #at the start of the PIN and a "1" at the end. So if your old PIN is 1234, your new PIN would be #12341.
Probably best of all, we eliminated the anti highjack function all together, as it probably was the most hated function. So there is no problem with getting out of the car to close the gate etc.
All the old problems with flat batteries and requiring the master code or a total re-program, cutting out while driving, keypad not accepting the PIN etc, etc, etc are a thing of the past. Our exchange system gets rid of all those problems, or should I say future problems, in one go!
Plus because it is an Australian Standard approved system, it does make all your cars fully comply with WAs compulsory immobiliser legislation at the same time!
To keep the inconvenience to an absolute minimum, we pre-wire the exchange system to fit your particular year and model car the whole job is usually done in less than an hour in most cases and is performed as a mobile service at your home or work!
If any of you would like to talk to me about the system and the exchange in more detail please call me on 9242 4000 or 0418 922 733.

Now coming back to the particular problem discussed above, for obvious reasons I can't be 100% sure, however imho in this case it doesn't sound like the security system at all.
As suggested by some, taking out the system will leave you with no security at all in what is still a target car. The costly removal of the system may only prove that the problem probably is to be found somewhere else. After that you are left with replacing what is quite a sophisticated and well integrated system with another often lesser and for cost reasons cheaper system. Any car alarm company, just like us, would be happy to help you there, however why rip the whole thing out, because most guys can't diagnose the real problem, when the problem could be solved much quicker, easier and cheaper.
What's wrong with good old fault finding??? using a process of elimination, where if need be steps can easily be reversed without having to start all fresh!