View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Vendor

gslrallysport at standard level

Please don't take any of the following as a criticism of your product, and we don't sell what you're selling, so we're not trying to bag the competition, but please get some facts straight when trying to use them to promote your product...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_for_me View Post
Absolutely, but I am not going to try and justify that, instead I will let you read what others say.

HowStuffWorks "Performance Brake Calipers"
Ok, well their justification of "Increasing the number of pistons also serves to increase the clamping force of the caliper" definitely isn't true. If it is then someone forgot to tell BMW as the M3, with it's single piston caliper, brakes just fine...

Cool. If I was selling super expensive multi piston kits I'd say something along those lines too. And coming from the company that originally provided the Z06 Corvette with a 6 pad 6 piston front caliper, and later had it dropped for a 'lesser' caliper...

Quote:
I have just Googled VE HSV brakes and failed to find a spec for them. The HSV site is pretty useless too. I did find a comment on a forum that said 18" wheels will fit over the 4 pot Clubsport brake setup, so on that basis I am going to suggest that the rotors will be no bigger than 356mm.
VZ HSV: 6 piston on 362mm rotor
VE HSV: 4 piston on 365mm rotor
Both take exactly the same pad, and the later definitely out brakes the former... by a lot more than 3mm of leverage suggests.

Quote:
If we replace the HSV brakes with a Kido 8 pot kit of the same rotor diameter I expect to see an improvement in braking capacity.
Over high end AP calipers? I'm sorry, no.

Quote:
If we increase the rotor diameter to say 380mm we will see a very significant improvement. The reasons for this are explained in the links above.
Absolutely. But nothing to do with piston count. And with the trade off of higher unsprung weight, reducing the effectiveness of the suspension. Diameter isn't everything, and Evo4-9 rally cars do just fine with their 276 or 294mm front rotors. Or even STi rally cars with their 294mm...

Quote:
On a side note, the last HSV I owned was a VX GTS which had 6 pot calipers with (from memory) 330mm rotors on the front and 4 pot calipers on the rear, so it looks like HSV are almost going backwards in their brake setups.
VX GTS ran 4 piston front and rear Harrop calipers, which are just a copy of a mid 80's Porsche Brembo, on 343/330mm rotors. And definitely notbackwards from the AP gear supplied currently.

Happy to be proven wrong, if you've found a R35 GTR owner that's swapped their 6 piston Brembo or a VE HSV owner that's swapped their 4 piston AP, for an 8 piston caliper of the above price point, and said it's an improvement, then awesome. But I just can't see it.

Last edited by gslrallysport; 09-05-2012 at 07:35 AM.