View Single Post
Old 26-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level
Question EcuTek vs Verso vs OpenECU

I'm probably going to open a can of worms but here goes.

Thinking of giving my 06-07 STI a tune with the stock ECU.

I'm considering EcuTek or Verso or OpenECU...Which one to get?

I've been reading some mixed reviews about ecutek on the forums (Jaron's/Pigsti!) and sounds scary but then there's millions of good reviews too. EcuTek will lock me into using only EcuTek tuners whereas Verso and OpenECU won't. Also that same review and comments made on the tuner(MMS/RT).

I've heard that OpenECU isn't realtime, so make changes start the car dyno see how it goes, if any problem stop and make changes again...bit risky...so it's out of the equation as I'll stick to Verso or EcuTek.

Ecutek Tuner options are MaxMS or RaceTorque (please tell me if any others)
There is also Tokyo Motorsports but they seem geared towards Evo's only.
Race performance works in osborne park for ecutek or verso- RPW does all of them, your choice, but they're the ones who told me about OpenECU (hmmm alarm bell!)...

Ecutek tune is $1500

Verso Tuner options are Evolution R or Allstar garage...I've been hearing great things about ASG so will probably stick to them if I choose verso.

I believe it's around 1000-1200 for the Verso tune.

Anyone has some comments on the tuner I should use or the software?
Also am I getting ripped off for what I've been quoted for the initial tune?

Also I know that with EcuTek you don't lose your engine management features such as cold start and warnings etc..and subaru can plug in the OBD and read normal engine fault codes...Is this the same with Verso?

Oh and it's for tuning a stock STi with a stock STi exhaust, is there a point in doing so? or should I first do the exhaust along with the fuel pump, then save up for the tune?
Really can't decide, not sure which way to do it, and worried that if I wait too long between the exhaust/pump job and the tune it may damage the engine.

HELP...Subi Newbie