View Single Post
Old 25-03-2014, 10:47 PM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
There is no ADR requirement for auto levelling (adaptive headlamps) nor headlamp washers - it's a misconception due to European ECE standards requiring headlamp washers.

ADR 77 - Gas discharge lamps Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 77/00 - Gas Discharge Headlamps) 2006
Have discussed this topic many times. Quite a bit of miss information & confusion over HID's due to the nature of ADR requirements & rules, however no miss conception here Rossco

I'm a slight dick regarding this topic as I have previously ranted over incorrect fitment & blinding of drivers, including myself on several occasions regarding HID's. I'm already Sensitive to light at night (Keratoconus in my left eye) & it doesn't help if they haven't been installed properly.

I'm far from having a go at anyone including yourself but just want to make it clear that there is ADR's in place. I have no problem with people installing HID's but I do ask if to please angle them down/have them fitted correctly should you not abide by the ADR requirements.

ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-leveling system and headlight washers.

Code:
Headlamp requirements: UNECE Regulation No. 48 (ADR 13/00):

6.2. DIPPED-BEAM HEADLAMP

6.2.6.2. Headlamp levelling device

6.2.6.2.1. In the case where a headlamp levelling device is necessary to satisfy the
requirements of paragraphs 6.2.6.1.1. and 6.2.6.1.2., the device shall be automatic.

6.2.6.2.2. However, devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or
non-continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop position at which the
lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by
means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means.

6.2.9. Other requirements

Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal
dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen
shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s)
according to Regulation No. 45.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L03991

This basically means that both headlamp cleaning devices and automatic headlamp levelling devices must be installed, since a typical gas-discharge bulb exceeds 2,000 lumen (typically 2,800 or 3,200 lumen).

The specifics of gas-discharge headlamps are laid out in UNECE Regulation No. 98 (ADR 77/00).

Code:
Now for gas-discharge bulb requirements: UNECE Regulation No. 99 (ADR 78/00):

3. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS

3.9. Colour

3.9.1. The colour of the light emitted shall be white or selective yellow. Moreover, the
colorimetric characteristics, expressed in CIE chromaticity coordinates, shall lie within
the boundaries given on the relevant data sheet.

3.9.2. The definitions of the colour of the light emitted, given in Regulation No. 48 and
its series of amendments in force at the time of application for type approval shall apply
to this Regulation.

3.9.3. The colour shall be measured according to the conditions specified in annex 4,
paragraph 10.

Referring back to UNECE Regulation No. 48 (ADR 13/00), the definition of "white" is given in paragraph 2.29.1 and the extent of further restrictions placed on gas-discharge bulbs is given in UNECE Regulation No. 99 (ADR 78/00), Annex 4, paragraph 10.
It all basically means the colour temperature should be 4100 K, with a tolerance of between 3500 K and 5000 K.

Now that's out of the way. Rossco the lights look mint! Great job compared to what I saw the other night at Barbs! Least you should be able to see now

Having a modern day PC without an SSD is like hiring a hooker for hugs.......

Last edited by Slap Dash; 25-03-2014 at 11:03 PM.