View Single Post
Old 14-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bailz at standard level

Purchased the car on November 26. I noted something was wrong when my missus started the vehicle up and it blew smoke for a few seconds. At this time the vehicle was less than a week since purchase.

The car was taken to the workshop and torn down under warranty. 3 pistons were found to have smashed ring lands. The workshop informed me that they had ordered new MAHLE forged pistons to go into the block, ARP head studs and Felpro head gaskets and full genuine Subaru gasket kit.

I was informed by the workshop its in my best interest to put a new clutch in whilst the engine is out. So i purchased a Competition stage 2 clutch and went to pickup the flywheel to be machined as well.

I wasn't happy after seeing the pistons and wondering where all the shrapnel had gone... I spoke to the dealer that I wasn't happy with the bottom end not being rebuilt. They would not come to the party and split the block so I asked the workshop directly and they agreed to split the bottom end at my cost. So I supplied new ACL bearings, had the crankshaft re-oil phased and new MANLEY rods...

Long story short they went to fit the pistons but had ordered over sized pistons and had to get the block machined anyway. I never paid for the bottom end rebuild because they had to split the block for machining anway

Car was put back together and then taken to a reputable subaru workshop for a tune under the original re builders recommendation. I had discovered that the vehicle was fitted with ECU-TEK before I had purchased the vehicle. This was not told to me at the purchase date.

So the vehicle was now at the reputable workshop on the 11th of February. The car was started at taken up to temperature. The top radiator hose was swollen like a balloon so both top and bottom hoses were replaced. The vehicle was then fitted with the 3inch turbo back exhaust at my cost to save me from re dyno tune later down the track.

On the dyno it was discovered that the right hand Active Valve Control system was not working so the cam covers were removed and the AVCS on the right bank was bled and the silicon blocking the hole removed.

The car went onto the dyno and everything was fine and returned to me on the 18th of February.

The car at purchase had done around 45300kms
It was rebuilt at around 46000kms
The timing belt was shredded at around 50000kms

Obviously I called the reputable subaru workshop first for advice. They told me to call the workshop who rebuilt the car. I rang them and they told me to call whoever touched it last.... So before it got messy I rang consumer protection.... They told me to call the dealer I purchased the car from because they were the ones who paid for the repairs.

I have been in contact with consumer protection in regards to this matter and no formal complaint has been made as the dealer has ordered the car to be towed to the reputable Subaru workshop... It will be around a week before they can touch it as they are fairly busy.

At the end of the day I just feel like I haven't got any value for money

The car was returned to me on the 18th of February....

Last edited by bailz; 14-05-2014 at 08:01 PM.