View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Top-Deck at standard level

Stortimus I had what sounds like the exact problem with my Brant system and have been told it is a common issue.
I would say that your Brant has a faulty/loose connection/bad soldering etc which is causing the intermittent non-response. The Brant controls 4 or 5 different parameters, and it is notorious for being poorly wired. Hence, when the connection is not made, the output does not fire at all.
In my case the fuel pump was the original issue...I thought it had died and bought a new one, only for the new one to also not prime at all. Got my local workshop to hardwire the pump with the ignition barrel and the problem completely disappeared.
A year later and I am having the exact same 'starter motor' issue...with it not cranking at all. Thought it was weird that the battery could have gone completely flat (in the 9 hours since driving it), only to find out that the starter motor is also controlled by the Brant.
Luckily I was able to disconnect and reconnect the Brant connector plug and this sorted the issue.
Long story short, get a local workshop to remove the Brant and replace with an aftermarket (if you want) immobiliser.
Until then, if you have the issue try disconnecting and reconnecting the Brant box. In the GC8 it sits under/behind the steering column in the foot well, and is the box with only black wires coming out of it.
Hope that helps!