View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 09:02 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLadz View Post
Might as well get brand new bearings, only tools i'd need is a slider hammer (or other persuasive method) for removing the hub and a bearing puller to get what is left of the old one out and a tool to press the new bearings + seals in. Does the tool you've got have a correct sized cup for the bearing bore size?
Yes. Its got every size from something like 25mm to 90mm, spaced in 2mm increments. But cost a few hundred, but its fuckin awesome. Ive done heaps of bearing jobs with it, and practically replaced every pressed suspension bush on my car with spherical joints. And all without even using a hydrauluc press.

You dont need a pull hammer, just a regular one, but from behind haha. You dont need a bearing splitter either, although its nice if you do. What i do is simply get an angle grinder and thin cut off wheel, then i cut through about 90% of the bearing race thats left on the hub ( but dont mark the hub beneath) . Then i use a chisel to crack the last 10% of the race and once you do that then it just slides off with minimal effort. Its the bodgers way.

And yes you will need a press to push it all back together. But it doesnt need to be hydraulic. Ive done my bearings a couple of times now with a manual setup. Its basically a heavy duty threadded rod that as you screw the nut down on, it pulls the parts together like a press. Its brilliant.