Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 06:10 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Got the seat in and put the harness bar in. I have to make sure 100% that its all in the correct posistion before welding it in hard. Given that it is so close to the rear of the seat, the verticle hieght of the bar has a very large impact on the angle of the harness strapping. CAMS call for anywhere between 0° horizontal, and 45° down. With the ideal recommended hieght being between 0° and 10°.

With my seat in place, I get a range between 0° and 42° depending on where abouts the straps come through the opening. With me sitting in the seat, the angle will be approx 15°, as my shoulders bring the strapping up to about that hieght. Which I am pretty happy with.

The other thing to note, this is measured from the top edge of the bar. When the harness is wrapped around the bar, the loop of the harness will meet and draw a line from the middle of the bar, not the top of the bar. So the angle/direction of the harness straps should be drawn from the center of the harness bar. Im not 100% sure if CAMS do it this way, or do it from the top of the bar, like in my photos show. But depending on the interpretation, this could change things.

The only other thing that may affect it is if I where a HANS, which will sit ontop of my shoulders, and therefore increase the angle a slight amount. But at the same time, the straps will compress me into the seat, which will reduce the angle.

I need to be 100% sure before I weld them in.

CAN ANYONE ON HERE CONFIRM IF I SHOULD TAKE MY ANGLE MEASUREMENT FROM THE TOP OF THE HARNESS BAR, OR THE CENTER OF THE HARNESS BAR. ????

Seat mock up by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

2019-01-06_05-44-00 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Harness bar mock up. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr