Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Apexi Power FC Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/apexi-power-fc-discussion/)
-   -   Power FC Installation/Tune 99 WRX (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/apexi-power-fc-discussion/25052-power-fc-installation-tune-99-wrx.html)

reflexwrx 23-02-2009 05:40 PM

Power FC Installation/Tune 99 WRX

Ok, I have now purchased a power FC for my 99 WRX. I have a modified Jap Spec V6 STI engine going in and the power FC will be running the STI engine. I have been told i need a 300zx AFM to run this power FC. Will i have to change any of the existing wiring to get this project up and running. Does anyone have advice on a good shop to do the install and tune?? Also does anyone have an idea of the cost involved with the install and tune?

Regards Brendan

Bathroom Renocation Anyone!!

Call Brendan on 0406647612

Qu3xy 23-02-2009 05:49 PM

Hey,

If you got the right powerfc you should be able to just plug it in. It says on the manuals to run the car for 10mins with nothing on (Dont touch any pedals either), then 10 mins with the defroster on and then finally 10 mins with the AC on. You will now have your base tune on the ECU. Now drive very carefully to your tuner of choice. I went to All Star Garage, great people and a great tune. :-)

From my experience tunes go from $400-900+

Oh, and i believe the MY99's have weak AFM's. The Z32 is stronger and has a wider band reading. Therefore better for you and better for tunA! :D

Good luck!

astralex 23-02-2009 07:36 PM

I think we've done this before...

Anyway, you don't need the Z32 AFM but it's a shitload better. I've killed plenty of stock ones, so if you've got the money to get one you may as well.

I still think we've done this before and good luck with the whole thing

reflexwrx 23-02-2009 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=astralex]I think we've done this before...

Anyway, you don't need the Z32 AFM but it's a shitload better. I've killed plenty of stock ones, so if you've got the money to get one you may as well.

I still think we've done this before and good luck with the whole thing[/QUOTE]

So i can run it with my Stock AFM? But potentially it will get destroyed... As long as i can drive it to a tuner. I'll be happy. I'll start the hunt for a cheap Z32 AFM.

reflexwrx 23-02-2009 10:04 PM

Does anyone know what boost i can now run safely with the power fc on my V6 STI Engine.

Mod List.

AVO Silicone Intake
CAI Pod filter
Silicone Y pipe
Up Pipe
3" Exhaust with Dump

Jim621 24-02-2009 09:45 AM

mate do a search....its been covered before.

vyper 24-02-2009 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=reflexwrx]Does anyone know what boost i can now run safely with the power fc on my V6 STI Engine.
[/QUOTE]

Leave it to your tuner. If you're not keen on that, do a search, as above.

reflexwrx 24-02-2009 11:23 AM

Alright, thanks again. Managed to get a 32Z Air flow meter for $100. Getting there slowly but surely.

Evo2 24-02-2009 07:16 PM

Smash 40 pound into it.... she'll be right with those mods :p

daveygravey 24-02-2009 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=Evo2]Smash 40 pound into it.... she'll be right with those mods :p[/QUOTE]

prob wanna weld ur diff too for more traction lmao

Jezza 24-02-2009 08:25 PM

take off the exhaust

itll go fast

no exhaust = no restriction

reflexwrx 24-02-2009 10:33 PM

Does anyone know if the power fc will control my boost. I have read that if you go into settings you can change your boost setting. But on another site it said you need a boost controller kit to operate boost. I don't know what the hell is true, i called the guy that previously owned it and he said it does??? Can someone please clear this up for me.

mr_psi 25-02-2009 09:54 AM

you need to buy the addon boost controller kit however, the kit is crap and i wouldnt recommend buying it.

go for something like a blitz electronic boost controller or the like.

Andy! 25-02-2009 12:21 PM

negative... you do not [U]need[/U] another boost controller PFC can control boost with the stock equipment

reflexwrx 25-02-2009 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=Andy!]negative... you do not [U]need[/U] another boost controller PFC can control boost with the stock equipment[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable how many different answers i have had from different sources. Do you run his power fc yourself?

mr_psi 25-02-2009 01:59 PM

sorry i was meant to say you do not need to buy the complete electronic boost controller kit however, if you wish to run more then about 16psi you will need to upgrade your solendoid as it does not control boost above 16psi very well!

upgrade to a 3 port solendoid or a blitz solenoid..

i did have a pfc installed in my car.

Andy! 25-02-2009 03:01 PM

If you want expert knowledge talk to Sean at ASG as he tunes PFC all the time

reflexwrx 25-02-2009 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]sorry i was meant to say you do not need to buy the complete electronic boost controller kit however, if you wish to run more then about 16psi you will need to upgrade your solendoid as it does not control boost above 16psi very well!

i did have a pfc installed in my car.[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude!,

I'll be looking into buying one for sure.

mr_psi 25-02-2009 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=Andy!]If you want expert knowledge talk to Sean at ASG as he tunes PFC all the time[/QUOTE]

i second this. Sean @ All Star Garage or Ant @ XSpeed are the people to speak to in regards to the pfc!

q2cmy00 25-02-2009 07:35 PM

+3 for asg. go in and see sean and nick, as they will answer months of forum research in minutes

reflexwrx 26-02-2009 05:25 PM

Cool cool, I have bought a Blitz boost controller and should have everything i need for when i bring into the tuner. Hope all this money spent will be worth it in the end.

GX-REX 04-09-2009 12:40 PM

With a power FC, when key is turned to on position should the hand controller light up?

Getting nothing light up on the controller, also getting no fuel or spark by the looks so I am thinking immobiliser troubles just wanted to cross this off the list.

Also, any way of telling if a car has been tuned for the power fc? Car in question has had no battery in it for probably 6 months and previous owner wasnt very helpful.

Rossco 04-09-2009 01:10 PM

Commander should light up with ignition on.

Could be immob. Do the dash lights light up? check engine light? abs light?

You can only tellif the Power fc has been tuned by looking at the maps with a datalogit or similar and comparing the current map to a base map (speak to ASG).

GX-REX 04-09-2009 02:29 PM

When I press the button to turn immobiliser off I get the oil light and charge light. Pretty sure no check engine light not sure on the abs light.
Car is a 93 RS lib.

Rossco 04-09-2009 02:36 PM

Check the fuse box for anything relating to 'efi' or 'egi'.

The early Lib ignition switches can sometimes have a mind of their own too when they're about to fail.

GX-REX 04-09-2009 02:43 PM

Will do. The fuse box under the dash or engine bay?

Car has previously had alot of stereo gear in it that was removed in a hurry. Still finding cables in there that dont belong. Always the possibility that a wire has been cut.

Rossco 04-09-2009 02:47 PM

Or a short has blown fuses some where.

2 fuseboxes 1 under bonnet, 1 in the driver's kick panel (from memory?)..... Check the fusible links under the hood first.

axle 04-09-2009 02:53 PM

Yeah we have checked the fuses.
Does powerfc have its own fuse? somewhere?

GX-REX 04-09-2009 03:01 PM

^^ His car, in my shed.

There was a fusible link was blown when we got that we have since swapped out. With a press of the button on alarm/immobiliser it flashes the hazards and brings up the mentioned dash lights. I assume that the alarm should only be getting one source of + power?
More I think about it the more I think the alarm could be cooked.

Rossco 04-09-2009 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=axle;391668]Yeah we have checked the fuses.
Does powerfc have its own fuse? somewhere?[/QUOTE]

No, pfc is fused the same as the factory ecu.....Uses factory wiring.

GX-REX 05-09-2009 03:59 PM

Thanks for the help Ross. The fuse I checked before must have been the one next to the engine fuse. Swapped that and now it is alive...
Now we just need to find a manual for the power fc so we know how to use it...

Rossco 05-09-2009 05:05 PM

Don't play with ANY of the setting on the commander......

Take it to Sean @ Asg or Zac @ Xspeed for a health check.

GX-REX 05-09-2009 05:09 PM

Yes, we intend on doing just that, once car is ready for road/rego.
Dont know if the car has ever been tuned for it or not. Looking at changing the setup anyway. Getting rid of the vee port and going plumb back, and probably a FMIC.
Need to reconnect the stock boost control and piss off the manual B/C.
Plenty to keep us busy for a while...

jb86 01-09-2010 10:58 AM

Just wondering if you're interested in a lower-cost hardware option to interface Power FC to a computer PC or Laptop? It supports both fc-edit and fc-pro (power excel official software), has analog inputs, works with old (eg: toyota) and new power FCs, and has USB built in, not RS232. So it supports as much as possible. Check out [url]www.fc-hako.com[/url] if you want more details. If you already have datalogit, then don't worry.

Rossco 01-09-2010 12:26 PM

Data logit has:
Proprietry FC-Edit software
multiple channel logging + wide band logging
allows external switchable boost maps.
Anti-lag etc depending on PFC model

Fc-Hako:
wide band logging
no analog inputss for logging ( or external switching)
It doesn't support FC-edit, (it supports fc-tune which is open source now - did they ever release a Subaru version of their software?)

tiddy 13-09-2010 10:17 PM

Whats the going price for a fresh power fc tune from ASG??

Rossco 14-09-2010 05:13 AM

$5-$600 from memory, Give them a call & speak to Nick.

JasonVr3/5/7 11-10-2012 02:01 AM

[QUOTE=mr_psi;336971]sorry i was meant to say you do not need to buy the complete electronic boost controller kit however, if you wish to run more then about 16psi you will need to upgrade your solendoid as it does not control boost above 16psi very well!

i did have a pfc installed in my car.[/QUOTE]

after my rebuild, i'm having big BIG problem with my APFC & Sard FPR ...and there are no tuners in my country ...:icon_conf