Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Apexi Power FC Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/apexi-power-fc-discussion/)
-   -   Second Hand Power FC Install (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/apexi-power-fc-discussion/61979-second-hand-power-fc-install.html)

krazykatz 19-06-2015 10:27 AM

Second Hand Power FC Install

I just purchased a second hand Power FC with an existing tune on it and want to install it in my MY00 WRX.

This particular Power FC was setup for a car with aGarrett 3071 turbo (that is all the details that i know about the car it came from).

My car is stock other than a MRT TBE and process west intercooler.

I intend on installing a VF28 turbo at the same time that i install the Power FC.

Will it be safe to start my car and drive it to a tuner once these are installed?

How do i load the stock tune on?

Do i actually need to start the car to power up the Power FC?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

stu99 19-06-2015 10:55 AM

I'm going through the same thing at the moment, but I do intend to tune the PFC myself.

I wouldn't drive on the existing tune if it was me, or at least I would drive carefully.

To reload the default tunes you need to go into ECT on the handset and go to initialise, then select yes, then turn the car off then on again.

The power fc default tune is for an STI so you'll need to set your injectors up for the 380cc ones your WRX has by setting the injectors to 117%

I would be best to take around 3-5 degress of advance out of the whole map as well.

The default map is rich, and the ignition is very aggressive.

It only takes 5 minutes to physically install a Power FC, so you could drive to the tuner on your existing ECU and swap it in the car park, or just hand it them on the day.

matto20v 19-06-2015 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=stu99;824843]
The power fc default tune is for an STI so you'll need to set your injectors up for the 380cc ones your WRX has by setting the injectors to 117%
[/QUOTE]

Careful. MY99/00 WRX and STi had same 440cc injectors. That's how we can run V6 STI ECU's on WRX's :)

krazykatz 19-06-2015 11:50 AM

Yeah im pretty sure it has the 440cc injectors.

If they are yellow they are the 440cc?

matto20v 19-06-2015 12:41 PM

Yepp they are 440cc.

WRX and STI in MY99/00 had same size injectors.

stu99 19-06-2015 01:10 PM

well you learn something new every day...

Rossco 19-06-2015 03:05 PM

To those of you that are fitting a powerFC to a non-STI - don't forget the swap the cam & crank signal wires at the ecu before trying to fire it up!

dazdavies 19-06-2015 04:13 PM

Excellent advice about the cam and crank sensor issue.

I had a Power FC once they are a great little unit. Now I would advise you don't do as I did but it should put the OP's mind at rest.

I went from a 2.0L with a VF28 (740cc injectors already installed and tuned) to a 2.5 with a Rotated GT30R and didn't have it tuned until I ran the engine in properly. It did circa 2000kms like that and towards the end saw some fairly decent boost too.

This was on my first Impreza's back in 2002 a really nice RB5

It was maf based and I upped the fuel pressure slightly but all was good. So providing the OP's is tuned for the correct injectors and drives it steady they shouldn't have any issues.

Rossco 19-06-2015 05:58 PM

Re-Reading the OP's post...... Reset the PFC!

You don't know what MAF was used for the previous tune & many people fit Z32 MAF sensors to Subarus for better reliability & higher resolution.

The problem is that the Z32 airflow/output voltage curve is completely different to the stock MAF.
Most tuners adjust the airflow curves (accessed by either a datalogit or Apexi software) to suit the Z32 MAF which will result in your motor being running extremely lean with a factory MAF sensor.

To be safe, I'd reset the power FC to the base map first (settings -> -> initialize)

Make sure you turn 'on' the boost control under ETC -> function select -> 1. Boost cntl kit - the characters are Japanese

This will help
[IMG]http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/function-on-off.jpg[/IMG]

Go back to the Settings tab navigate to Settings ->Boost

You will end up here:

[IMG]http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-emulator/menu_1_2_5_1.JPG[/IMG]

Set boost #1 to .6 & 15 - press the left arrow to exit this menu
(this step will allow the PFC to boost cut if the boost spikes)

Also be sure to perform the proper 30 minute idle learn which is:

(you must not touch the throttle at all during this process)

1. 10 mins idling from a cold start with no electrical load -lights, a/c & rear demister all off

2. 10 mins idling with head lamps & rear demister switched on

3. 10 mins with head lamps, rear demist, A/c on & the fan running flat out

Failure to do this will result in a car that stalls or has an erratic idle when you pull up to traffic lights etc.

Have fun but don't lean on it until it's been fully tuned!

krazykatz 23-06-2015 06:57 PM

Thanks for the advice - i may have just put a hold on the project as i put down a deposit on a new STi today :)

It will be interesting to see how the two cars compare once the Mods and tune are done to my MY00.