Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Complaints and Grievances (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/complaints-grievances/)
-   -   Dual Red light camera/Speed camera at the Bell Tower (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/complaints-grievances/28686-dual-red-light-camera-speed-camera-bell-tower.html)

SSjCosmo 23-08-2009 06:52 AM

Dual Red light camera/Speed camera at the Bell Tower

Hey guys,

I don't know if this has already been discussed on this forum or not but does everyone know about the new dual red light camera trial at the bell tower intersection? I've been flashed 3 times by it and only just decided to read about it and realised that this is actually a speed camera independently of the red light camera. Also it won't pick up on your radar detector because i believe it uses the strips in the ground to detect your speed rather than actual radar.

Apparently it is still in trial and 'shouldn't' get any fines but i'm not holding my breath.

Does anyone know anything more?

Thanks.

ImPreSiV 23-08-2009 10:06 AM

yeah fixed speed camera's are not legal in WA (yet) so you will not get any fines

I have seen it go off several times for speeding cars going thru. I use the intersection about 4 times a day.

My radar detector goes off "K" band when i approach the intersection, but I saw them doing the camera works, so I knew what was going on... wont be long till the law is passed, and the trial is over, and these things start popping up all over the place.

SSjCosmo 23-08-2009 10:11 AM

Mmm i've never left my K band on but i wouldn't have slowed down for K band anyway. I generally drive through it once a week very early in the morning. The first 2 times i either thought someone else had been flashed, as there were a couple other cars around or the camera was faulty. It wasn't like i was going much above the speed limit but it's still something.

Did your K band go off for that intersection before the new camera was put in? They also have a CCTV camera next to it, i don't know if that is new or not

ImPreSiV 23-08-2009 10:22 AM

yeah the CCTV camera is there to help with the trial i think. Its new.

Yeah i don't usually slow down for K-band either, unless its a 'd' car coming the other way.

Nah I dont think it went off before they did the changes.

I did the same as you, first time I saw it go off, i thought the guys who had fixed it had broked it, or someone else had set it off, like, in the turning lane, coz I couldn't work out how it possibly could go off, then i read an article somewhere saying it was a fixed speed camera / red light camera, and it all made sense.

SSjCosmo 23-08-2009 10:51 AM

Yeah i read about it on the Aussie Street Bikes forum i think. They are all very concerned because the cameras get you from behind so they're all screwed.

Plus there's a big debate whether they are a good idea or not. Some of them are saying they've seen evidence from other countries showing they increase accidents because people hit the skids when they see an amber light and cause rear end accidents. It can be especially dangerous for bike riders if they don't have enough room to stop.

And yes everyone should leave enough room for everyone to stop but when someone locks it up in front of you, you don't always have enough time to stop even if you react quickly.

One guy reckons he already saw some old piece of junk car lock it up for an amber at that intersection and went sideways into the intersection lol...

werticusness 23-08-2009 11:21 AM

Well of course that is obvious, much like the danger from current speed cameras and people looking at their speed not the road.

Sense will not prevail!
At least the cameras are a stationary target.

Shinobiken 23-08-2009 11:21 AM

yea, thats the first thing that came to my mind. people are so used to just speed up a little when they see yellow and pass the intersection, now they will hestitate abit before standing on the brakes and get rear ended.

phizzle 23-08-2009 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=Shinobiken;388042]yea, thats the first thing that came to my mind. people are so used to just speed up a little when they see yellow and pass the intersection, now they will hestitate abit before standing on the brakes and get rear ended.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, putting it on a quite frequently congested arterial road is a WOFTAM and an unnecassary increase in risk to the motoring public.

A better idea would be to instal them at intersections on Leach/Roe/Tonkin etc where they have the flashing yellow lights telling people the lights are about to change. Mainly these lights are installed for the trucks that use the roads but (I'm guilty too...) how oftenb do you see people drop a gear when the lioghts start to flash? Imagine the revenue there....

Of course a better idea would be to build flyovers and build some on/off ramps but who gives a shit about traffic flow in sleepy ol' Perth

SSjCosmo 23-08-2009 11:33 AM

Yeah the pollies don't care, it's all revenue. They're gonna roll out 30 or 40 of them at $60000 each.

They'll make that back within the first year i reckon.

werticusness 23-08-2009 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=phizzle;388049]...the flashing yellow lights telling people the lights are about to change. Mainly these lights are installed for the trucks that use the roads...[/QUOTE]

They ARE for trucks... I can think of three times some total fukwit has stopped at a green light because of the warning light! The turning lane, was free however so it wasn't too bad.