Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Complaints and Grievances
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

fsk at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordiee View Post
mate who are you kidding?
Stop and have a think about the word DEmerit lol
Old 04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
STI Master

Terry.Wrist at standard level

Doubt it'll stop the type of P platers the laws are designed for from driving like knobs (I'm basing this off people I know/have witnessed on their P plates).

Personally I was still on my P plates when they brought in the whole no alcohol in your system law to combat people drinking and driving........the people I know who would drink and drive still drove after drinking post the new law.

The only real way I can see these laws effecting a responsible P plate driver is if they get caught in the 7-19 km/h (I think this is the right range) over bracket during double demerits. Before everyone starts carrying on about "thats still speeding etc etc" it really isn't that hard to accidently get to 10km/h over when going around a car in the overtaking lanes heading down south, as an example.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:

you're all just old and withered and can't relate to the youth of today, not really but maybe try and think back to the days when you were on p's and then reply
Calm down tiger .......He wasn't aiming his comments at you, it was a general statement.

People need it reinforced that having a license is a privilege & not a given right, these laws are a good start to discipline young people to be more responsible for their actions and stop being so 'whatever' about driving on the roads.

I accept that if I am caught doing the wrong thing I'll get fined or have my car impounded......But I don't smack my car in peak hour, weave through traffic or scream up and down suburban streets......they are not the places to be trying to be Mcrae, it's all about the correct time & place.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Im all for it. Dont be a fuckhead -> have no issues?

I have accrued 6 points over 11 years of 'open' driving. (So not 'clean slated' - although have had most dissolve). Its not hard. 12 points is a LOT of fuckups, not "incredibly unlucky". If you lose your licence, regardless of age, it means you do a lot of the wrong thing.

For the years I've had the bug, I can honestly say, 80+pc of all the people wanting to run me/drag/driving dangerously around me, wanting me to join them - has been from p plated vehicles. My insurance premiums, are elevated, due to the 18-25yo bracket.

As Stace said, one day, you'll see. (Maybe).

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

What I love is that people who have passed their L's, had their P's for a year, and made it from A to B without a bingle think theyre the best drivers in the world and that any law changes are out to get them, because theyre "unfairly targeted"

The same attitude as the dick a few months ago "I do 10 k's over the limit, Because I know its safe to do so"

Bullshit. Check your speed, follow the rules, and youll find its not that hard to keep your license.

Some people need to realise the rules are not in effect for everyday "Im just driving over here" stuff. Its so you have a better, and safer chance of avoiding, or at least minimising harm from the unexpected. Its for the car that slams its brakes on in front of you, the car that runs the red light, the pedestrian who runs out from behind a bus, the kangaroo who freezes in the middle of the road at 12AM.

Why is it harder for you with a performance car on P plates? Is it harder for you than anybody else here to keep below the speed limit? personally I dont think you should even be allowed behind the wheel of a performance car while inexperienced.

Yes, some people who arent on P's drive like fucktards, But I think their idea is right. Make young drivers aware while they are that: young. Then maybe theyll learn, because the young drivers will then become the not so young drivers, who will hopefully have a positive influence on younger drivers again.

Perhaps if it is so important for you to keep your license as itd be inconveniant otherwise, it will give you the better judgement to make the right choice on the road. As said a license, and the roads are a privelage, not a right. 'Needing' your license to get to work everyday does not give you the right to go that little bit faster than anybody else.

Last edited by Alternate; 04-11-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Speeling
Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Sir AntiLag

rstasy at standard level

I'm all for this too.

Even though I'm on my p's for 7 more days. I've only accumulated 3 demerit points. All from speed cameras. Two of those were on a double demerit weekend.

The amount of people in fullysikspec S13s/R33's with red p plates wanting runs is fucking ridiculous. There's been countless times I've had people driving blatantly stupid in an attempt to try and egg me on - namely swerving all a bout the freeway at night.

I'm not an absolute saint, but I consider myself a far more defensive driver in opposition to overly-throttle happy muppets..

As Rossco rightfully said - there's a time and place. To plead ignorance to the fact that everyone likes to give their dak dak's a bit of herbs every now and again is ridiculous..

Last edited by rstasy; 04-11-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
mate who are you kidding? everyone uses the term "lose" when referring to demerits irl
it's a moot point anyway

i have no idea how to drive properly?
why don't you ask some of the people on this forum i've met in person
i've only lost 2 demerits myself, plenty of people on this forum have lost their license, it's not like it's that hard

i'm merely stating that most people i know who are my age have lost demerits

you're all just old and withered and can't relate to the youth of today, not really but maybe try and think back to the days when you were on p's and then reply
Well...congratulations, you have only 2 points, and how long have you had your license?

Quote:
i've only lost 2 demerits myself, plenty of people on this forum have lost their license, it's not like it's that hard
....and acting like a dickhead on the road is the cause of the loss of license... (not saying I am an innocent on the road, just stating that in 99% of the cases, there is a fairly valid reason for the loss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate View Post

Bullshit. Check your speed, follow the rules, and youll find its not that hard to keep your license.

Why is it harder for you with a performance car on P plates? Is it harder for you than anybody else here to keep below the speed limit? personally I dont think you should even be allowed behind the wheel of a performance car while inexperienced.
Quoted for truth. Im in 100% agreement that inexperienced drivers should not be in a performance car. You don't see motorcyclists get their license and legally jump on a 1000cc bike and ride it down the street.

Last edited by gumby; 04-11-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Thanks for proving my point mate, mum still cut off the crusts?
Fkcn lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstasy View Post
The amount of people in fullysikspec S13s/R33's with red p plates wanting runs is fucking ridiculous. There's been countless times I've had people driving blatantly stupid in an attempt to try and egg me on - namely swerving all a bout the freeway at night.
I had two teenage friends write off a Silvia and R33 when i was in my teens. Mummy and daddy / inheritence bought the cars. Easy come easy go. Luckily one fool got done and lost his licence for 18 months.

Yes it is easy to lose your license if your not careful.....thats the whole point - make P platers careful.

As you get older, it is easier to know when your speeding or not, its just instinct given your surrounds and experience with the car.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate View Post
personally I dont think you should even be allowed behind the wheel of a performance car while inexperienced.
I'm with you. I'm waiting for the state government to pass a non-turbo/engine displacement limit for p-platers as well. Every year around graduation time, I see recently licenced Year 12 students driving like dicks from school functions. Last day of school, leaver's breakfasts, after exams, etc. Some parents need their fucking head read too. Some of the cars they buy for them... R33, BMW 3 series, VE Calais to name a couple recently spotted. Fuck me. Highly unlikely the BMW and Calais were parent's cars either as they were lowered on massive, ugly, chrome wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Thanks for proving my point mate, mum still cut off the crusts?
ohLOL
Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Sir AntiLag

Okibi at standard level

I've been wanting this law to come in for years (yes i'm old but too fat to be withered).

Most P platers can't afford a WRX, they can only afford old cars with worn out suspension, perhaps no ABS or airbags etc. They're at a greater risk.

Drivers can afford to loose an average of 4 points a year and keep their licence, why should it be any different for P platers?

P platers keep pushing the limits hoping not to get caught, it's only once they start running out of money or points that they realise they need to be more cautious.

I don't agree with the argument that P platers are more likely to make mistakes so we should be more lenient. It means they're more likely to kill someone so they need to be scrutinised.

The licensing centres have handballed any responsibility for a P platers ability from passing an "old fashioned" driving test to whom ever teaches them to drive for the 6+ months they have their "log book". So if mum or dad is a typical Perth driver who can't merge, indicate their intentions BEFORE changing lanes, indicate at roundabouts or drive in a courteous manner then the P plater adopts these bad habits.

If only we had a better system to teach and grade people on their driving ability.

The laws seem to focus on trying to catch people and make money, why not offer incentives to be a safe driver. Say if I P plater didn't get an infringement in the first year they get 9 points for the 2nd year, or if a regular driver has 2 years in a row without loosing any points give them 10% off registration .. 5 years 50% off registration etc.

Obviously this would only work if Police policed bad driving and not just speeding, I don't think i've known anyone who's been booked for driving too slow on the freeway or not keeping left.

Accidents happen, that's why almost as many people die from "falls" as die in traffic accidents, the speed limits are set to reduce the amount of damage caused by the accident.

I'm probably not the best role model when it comes to driving in a safe manner but if you've read this far (without discounting my comments coz im old) then the biggest piece of advice i'd like to give is "be predictable", do things like indicate nice and early, keep out of blindspots, check your mirrors. I think that advice will keep you alive a lot longer than "don't speed".

Tags
backseat bandits, ban commodores and falcons!, ban p platers from breathing, laws, marc got baited by an l plater, p plater rage, plater, ridiculous, skids = good driver