Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Complaints and Grievances
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Scoobie Noobie

DCW at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Hi all,

I thought I would start a bit of a discussion relating to the current situation between major supermarkets and local suppliers. Hopefully it can create some awareness and share some perspectives.

Woollies and Coles are dominating their shelves with shitty self-branded stock at prices that local suppliers cannot feasibly match. If consumers continue to just grab the cheapest thing off the shelf, the local suppliers will be forced out of the market.
This would then allow Woollies and Coles to further dominate the market and jack up the prices due to a lack of competition. Some products are even being sold at a loss, or without profit, in order to deny the competition.

Everyone should make an effort to buy local and not support the supermarket chain brands. A couple of dollars more in your weekly shop can be used to save local suppliers and Australian business.

A prime example of this would be the local supermarket milk prices. The supermarkets are putting the squeeze onto local suppliers by selling milk at $1/L, and consumers are taking the bait. Once the WA suppliers such as Harvey Fresh and Pura are forced out of the market, you will see the prices of milk jacked up to generate profit again; except all profit will go to the supermarket chain rather than supplier.

Support Australian farmers....

Supermarkets hit back at 'supplier squeeze' claims - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Not sure if you're aware or not but Coles actually sells Harvey Fresh and Pura right alongside their own brand.
Old 23-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Not sure if you're aware or not but Coles actually sells Harvey Fresh and Pura right alongside their own brand.
At double the cost.

You may have missed my point...
gorotsuki69 and baylee like this.
Old 23-12-2013, 02:34 PM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

my local IGA had been selling WA milk (Ferguson Valley) for $2/2L a long time before Coles made a big deal out of it.
Old 23-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Spud shed also sells Harvey fresh at $2/2L
Old 08-04-2015, 03:06 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Daaaamien at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Hi all,

I thought I would start a bit of a discussion relating to the current situation between major supermarkets and local suppliers. Hopefully it can create some awareness and share some perspectives.

Woollies and Coles are dominating their shelves with shitty self-branded stock at prices that local suppliers cannot feasibly match. If consumers continue to just grab the cheapest thing off the shelf, the local suppliers will be forced out of the market.
This would then allow Woollies and Coles to further dominate the market and jack up the prices due to a lack of competition. Some products are even being sold at a loss, or without profit, in order to deny the competition.

Everyone should make an effort to buy local and not support the supermarket chain brands. A couple of dollars more in your weekly shop can be used to save local suppliers and Australian business.

A prime example of this would be the local supermarket milk prices. The supermarkets are putting the squeeze onto local suppliers by selling milk at $1/L, and consumers are taking the bait. Once the WA suppliers such as Harvey Fresh and Pura are forced out of the market, you will see the prices of milk jacked up to generate profit again; except all profit will go to the supermarket chain rather than supplier.

Support Australian farmers....

Supermarkets hit back at 'supplier squeeze' claims - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Now works for Coles haha
Old 08-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

If you cant beat them join them lol

Coles branded milk comes from Harvey Fresh
Old 08-04-2015, 05:40 PM
STI Master

ALLPAWS at standard level

In theory I don't support buying Coles/Woolworths branded products, but then I see the money I can save that can go towards Mods
Crotch Rockets . . .
Old 04-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Fozzy_Mat at standard level

Just adding to this conversation. I work for a local manufacturer of electronic goods. We used to have a philosophy of supporting local business and keeping it all in WA. But sadly people just demand cheaper and cheaper prices and we are forced to outsource things to China mainly.
It makes me really sad but the owners of this company have to eat and pay the bills so they have to find profits somewhere.

I think this is just the knock on effect of the whole coles and woolworths thing. Everyone expects everything should be getting cheaper and it filters into all areas of all markets. Frankly very few people care any more that the company makes things right here in WA, they just complain it is too expensive and buy else where.

On a more related note to the original conversation. I now have a rule of buying all my fruit and vegetables from the local independent fruit and veg shop. It is slightly more expensive but they are much much better quality and a better range also.
I also get my more expensive meats from the local butcher. Once again the quality and service is way better.

In short you genuinely get a better product and you support locals, its win win and i encourage everyone to do what they can to support small businesses. I know not everyone can afford to buy everything at higher prices but try it for some things, whatever you can it all helps.
wawa and amtrapid like this.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:58 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
my local woolies will only ever have 3 bottles of harvey fresh milk on the stands. (about 30-40cm of space on one shelf.) Meanwhile there is an entire wall approx 4m long and stacked top to bottom of there shit piss milk. because of the very limited number of harvey fresh bottles out at once. they always run out and i have to specifically ask an attendant to get me some. at which point i complian about the lack of milk.

most if the time i shop at iga as it is more convenient for me to drop in to one on the way home after work than go out of my way to a wollies. but of im not travelling from work, then ill go to WW as that is then more convienient.

Price doesnt really phase me too much. i just stick the card in and buy my shit.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:57 PM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

vent:
Facebook self-righteous cunts who post this

Nekminit status update:
looking to swap woollies animal cards any1 got any?
nick73 likes this.

Tags
local, supermarkets, suppliers