Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   Replacing dented roof (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/17337-replacing-dented-roof.html)

BALISTC 07-01-2008 07:40 PM

Replacing dented roof

Hi everyone,

How would one go about replacing a dented roof thats beyond ordinary paintless repair, on a GC8 WRX?

Has anyone purchased a roof skin before, and if so, how much was it??

Any recommendations of who could do it? I would imagine the work would be a bit more difficult than your ordinary panel replacement, so the panel beater would have to be fairly competent.

p.s. It's not my car.

GX-REX 07-01-2008 07:51 PM

pop out front and rear windscreens, drill out original spot welds along the door jams and cut pillars where needed.
I would definately recommend a competent and reputable panel shop for this sort of work, ie dont go to Hi - Lite smash and then complain that it all turned to shit.

phizzle 07-01-2008 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=GX-REX]pop out front and rear windscreens, drill out original spot welds along the door jams and cut pillars where needed.
I would definately recommend a competent and reputable panel shop for this sort of work, ie dont go to Hi - Lite smash and then complain that it all turned to shit.[/QUOTE]
That's because the car will need to be braced up real well so that nothing flexes or twists or anything like that. It's a big job to do right. Almost complete strip out of the interior and major surgery. Really don't envy the task Joe

ImPreSiV 07-01-2008 08:31 PM

Balsac, Protorob did this on his liberty not long ago... maybe best to give him a bell.

Darken 07-01-2008 08:42 PM

Got any pics to show the extent of damage..?

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Hi everyone,

How would one go about replacing a dented roof thats beyond ordinary paintless repair, on a GC8 WRX?

Any recommendations of who could do it? I would imagine the work would be a bit more difficult than your ordinary panel replacement, so the panel beater would have to be fairly competent.

p.s. It's not my car.[/QUOTE]

Makoto 07-01-2008 09:51 PM

i was just wondering, did someone fall onto the roof???

rubasu 07-01-2008 10:06 PM

Think convertible soft top mate! Would be one of a kind

Can you imagine...lol

Get one of the photoshop experts on here to do you up a demo.

:)

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Hi everyone,

p.s. It's not my car.[/QUOTE]

Splat_man 07-01-2008 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=rubasu]Think convertible soft top mate! Would be one of a kind

Can you imagine...lol

Get one of the photoshop experts on here to do you up a demo.

:)[/QUOTE]

already been done man....
[url]http://redlinegti.com/forum/vtn.91160.htm[/url]

Pimpreza 08-01-2008 12:05 AM

I know Steve had a roof panel with a sunroof built in at MMS for a GC8 a couple of years ago, might still have it, not really that big a job as Subaru were kind enough to put seams down either side of the GC roof so no pillars to cut into or bog work, much cheaper than doing a GD.

PROTOTYPE 08-01-2008 12:37 AM

hey joesack...

i got my roof skin replaced on the liberty to get rid of the sunroof etc, bought the skin from regents and then got phil foster to do the fitment. Mine required the crossover braces cause i was changing from sunroof to normal, but i'd say this one you should be able to re-use them if they aren't too bent. Requires removal of front and rear windows and the two side quarter windows from memory.

Not a cheap job to have done, but if you gotta do it you gotta do it.... allow between 800-1000 bucks for the skin plus all the panel work etc