Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   F*ckin F*ck....I hate bumpers! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/23856-f%2Ackin-f%2Ack-i-hate-bumpers.html)

BALISTC 18-12-2008 08:17 AM

F*ckin F*ck....I hate bumpers!

Not sure about you guys, but ill-fitting bumpers are probably one of my pet hates.

Now, when I fitted my FMIC many years ago, my front bumper wouldn't sit flush i.e. where the bumper sits up against the bottom of the quarter panel, towards the wheel arch.

The original fasteners near the wheel arch weren't strong enough to hold it in place, I just assumed that stuffing a core and pipes under the bumper was causing it to foul some how. Bolts did the trick anyway.

Fast forward a few years, and one of the bolts has fallen out...its now being held by cable ties, until I get it on a hoist to fix it. ARGH!

Now I’m going to be removing the bumper and working out where the problem is, and possibly doing some more trimming to make the bumper fit nicer. I basically want to go back to using the factory clips and fasteners to hold it all together instead of bolts, cable ties, etc.

My question is….does anyone have any idea, or an extract from the service manual, of how many clips there are and where they go, on an MY02? [B]I’m confused[/B] because after searching the internet for instructions, I find out that in some countries, CLIPS hold the bumpers on, and in others, its BOLTS. I for the life can’t remember whether mine was held on by clips and/or bolts, or brackets, or what!

Any help would be appreciated, and it would much alleviate my elevated sterss levels right now. Thanks everyone :D

inrextc 18-12-2008 08:26 AM

Think mines held on by both bolts and clips. You can come have a look see if ya want....

phizzle 18-12-2008 08:44 AM

Can't offer any valuable assisstance Joe, but I just have to say I wasn't expecting anything on the BALLSAC to be ghetto spec :p

BALISTC 18-12-2008 10:45 AM

It's only ghetto because until I fix it properly (this coming Monday), its either cable ties, or scrape the bumper along the ground.... :D

Adz 18-12-2008 12:06 PM

I love your essays joe :)

Seriously man - stop fretting - it'll take two minutes to stop and look at whats holding it together - no biggy

Pimpreza 18-12-2008 02:45 PM

There are an absolute shitload, I had to fit my Bug front bumper & I think I ended up buying something like 35 to fit the inner guards & bumper.......They have the diagrams at Regents & they had the clips though I just about bought him out & Ozzy Pk had none but that was 6 months ago.

klass8wrx 18-12-2008 06:16 PM

I know how you feel. My bumpers are hanging 5-10mm from the bottom of the guards...so depressed T_T

BALISTC 22-12-2008 03:03 PM

FIXED.

Basically 5 clips along the top under the grille, 1 clip each side under the headlights, and 1 clip on each side near the wheel arch (replaced by bolts on my car).

The little side grilles have 3 clips each, and I actually took the ones from these to replace the missing bumper ones...I thought it would be easier to replace these than replace the bumper ones after everything was assembled.

Pulled the bumper straight off, clearanced it a bit more with a die grinder, then bolted it straight back on....fits nice now :D

Hurtenstein 22-12-2008 03:04 PM

Wanna do mine?

BALISTC 22-12-2008 03:06 PM

No :D

..it took 10 minutes to remove bumper, and 2.5 hours to grind, refit, check, remove...at least 20 times!