Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   help, suggestions (car audio) (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/25388-help-suggestions-car-audio.html)

silo's_sube 11-03-2009 09:25 AM

help, suggestions (car audio)

Hi guys,

Have a cd deck in the car (kenwood), the other day i took off fast, changed gears fast, car shuttered a little as usual but the cd player skipped and stopped working. saying 'protect'.
didnt know what to do....ended up pressing the reset button. starting working again. yay.

next, driving between gears having a little bit of fun as normal and it starts crackling through all speakers, as if im losing connection through the back of the deck or something.

so i took out the deck, taped over all of the wire connections(because i didnt when i put in in....slack i know) and put the deck back in as normal, simple.

turned car on, cd players does not work anymore......when i was taping the wires up, i did have to re crimp one that had came out while i was fiddling around, it made a little spark noise when i put the naked wire back in the connector thing (like when you touch the negative on the battery terminal). all connected up the same as before, no bueno!

i always disconnect the battery when i do work but thought this once it would be fine....is it due to me not disconnecting the battery???? the fuse is fine.

help help

cheers

phizzle 11-03-2009 10:37 AM

Time to go to Westside in Cannington and buy a 'cheap' replacement. Use the Kenwood cd player as a paper weight/weapon/wheel chock.

silo's_sube 11-03-2009 10:48 AM

oh for real?? that is the news i didnt want to hear-could warranty come into play??

GX-REX 11-03-2009 10:52 AM

Which fuse did you check?
Quite often there can be 1 or 2 fuses behind the deck, as well as the one in your main fuse box below steering wheel. I know certain Alpine decks have a blade fuse in the back of them, I dont think kenwoods do.

phizzle 11-03-2009 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=silo's_sube]oh for real?? that is the news i didnt want to hear-could warranty come into play??[/QUOTE]
If it was installed at a shop by 'qualified' people, then yes.

By Bodgy Bros. International, nah, don't like your chances :)

Jim621 11-03-2009 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=silo's_sube]
so i took out the deck, taped over all of the wire connections(because i didnt when i put in in....slack i know) and put the deck back in as normal, simple.
[/QUOTE]

haha, mate, you probably should have taped up the connections when you did the initial install.

go buy yourself a multimeter (like $10 from dick smith) and check you have power to the deck.
otherwise, its probably best to leave it to the experts!

silo's_sube 11-03-2009 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=Jim621]haha, mate, you probably should have taped up the connections when you did the initial install.
its probably best to leave it to the experts![/QUOTE]

I always tape them and have done it many time....just this once god dammit!!

[QUOTE=phizzle]If it was installed at a shop by 'qualified' people, then yes.

By Bodgy Bros. International, nah, don't like your chances :)[/QUOTE]

'qualified' i wonder what courses they do to qualify=====>pretty simple stuff, only i took it for granted-anyway, looks like i may of blown mum's xmas pressie she gave me

[QUOTE=GX-REX]Which fuse did you check?
Quite often there can be 1 or 2 fuses behind the deck, as well as the one in your main fuse box below steering wheel. I know certain Alpine decks have a blade fuse in the back of them, I dont think kenwoods do.[/QUOTE]

There one in the back of the deck, going to check the fuse box now. There are no other fuses near the deck either.

ImPreSiV 11-03-2009 04:10 PM

some decks have internal fuses too. if you blow that, good luck to you.

i'd just go buy a new desk, and put an inline fuse on ur power, to make sure it doesn't happen again.

silo's_sube 11-03-2009 04:12 PM

yeah all the external fuses i just checked and are tip top.

may go to an audio place quickly to see if they can tell

thanks for all your help and suggestions guy, appreciate it

phizzle 11-03-2009 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=silo's_sube]'qualified' i wonder what courses they do to qualify[/QUOTE]
Hence the '_______' :D No offence to Macey cause he knows his shiznit. Just the punks at Car Stereo City and the like that are 'custom' audio installers and can't figure out wether to put the shrink wrap on before or after the soldering.........if they actually use solder in the first place...........or shrink wrap for that matter!