Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   spoiler seal (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/35428-spoiler-seal.html)

bugeye69 07-07-2010 08:14 AM

spoiler seal

Hi guys
I have recently replaced the standard WRX spoiler on my 2001 Bugeye and replaced it with a larger raised wing.
I had to drill 2 additional holes on the boot and have also stuck it down with double sided foam tape.
The problem is that it is stuck firm and I mean FIRM all around apart from the front edge (closest to the rear window) which has lifted a little bit.
I have tried weighing it down for a few days but it still lifts.
I am worried about water ingress and wonder it anyone knows of a rubber 'L' shaped seal which may be self-adheisive which I could use.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Pete

mARC 07-07-2010 09:03 PM

Remove spoiler, trace out and make a template, go to clarke rubber. profit?

REXXXED 07-07-2010 11:04 PM

Haha!
Step one, remove spoiler
Step two.......
Step three, profit!

I love south park :)

BALISTC 08-07-2010 07:15 AM

When I used to have a C-West wing on my car, we used a thin foam strip (about 7-8mm in width and 5mm thick) which was sticky on one side, to seal it against the boot lid.. Stick it all around the edge of the base of the wing, and it seals perfectly when its bolted down.

I think it came in rolls and I have no idea where to get it from, but try a place that sells spoilers and body kits.. or Bunnings might have something similar.

bugeye69 11-07-2010 03:15 PM

cheers guys but the spoiler is on the car and there is no way it will physically come off without major damage. Even when the bolts are undone this thing aint coming off! I just there may be a strip/seal which could be recomended

bugeye69 17-07-2010 07:34 PM

spoiler is off!!!

I discovered today my boot was drenched and think water has been getting in through the brake light in the spoiler and swishing around inside the spoiler. It eventually must work it's way through the hold where the brake light cable is and drip drip drip!
Sub box soaked and all carpets
Today I have sealed the brake light in, double the depth of the 2 sided tape and was about to bolt down when I thought I would look back at this post it did.
Not sure now whether to get a deeper foam strip now as per BALISC recomendation, should be ok even if only stuck to one surface eh???
6 bolts should keep it all down.

mrclubspecevo4 22-07-2010 07:24 PM

if you really think it is coming i from the bolt holes, I would undo the bolts and fit some rubber washers there and tighten them up again. It will let you see if you can stop water getting in the boot without taking the wing off.

Personally, if it's coming in from new holes that you drilled and there is no bolt there, then I would put a blob of silicon there to stop the water. Cheap and nasty in some books, but it will work without taking the wing off.