Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   Replacing side mirror glass (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/41611-replacing-side-mirror-glass.html)

rubberbudgie 16-04-2011 11:35 AM

Replacing side mirror glass

Tried searching but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Can you just replace the actual mirror part itself (ie the glass) or do you have to replace the whole assembly/shell? I'd rather not have to replace the whole thing if there is some way of replacing just the glass itself.

Thanks.

Gk_ 16-04-2011 12:02 PM

I got two sti mirrors for a $1 each of eBay only cos I wanted black once :). Prob save you heaps of time and piss farting around as well??

astralex 16-04-2011 12:02 PM

I don't know what it's like for Subaru, but when I had a mirror break I looked into getting just the glass from a dealer, but alas, had to buy the whole assembly instead. For the crackpot prices they wanted for it, I ended up going to a glass/mirror making mob in Wangara somewhere and they cut and glued a new piece of glass in for me at less than half the cost of a new assembly. Looks exactly the same as the mirror on the other side, so personally, would go down this path again if it happens.

Letchy 25-01-2012 02:58 PM

Bumping this for anyone else's thoughts...

I just cracked the glass in my right mirror. Anyone ever tried just getting the mirror itself from a wrecker? What would the rough price of getting a glass/mirror maker to make one be?

Thanks

mARC 25-01-2012 05:39 PM

Doubt a wrecker would sell you the mirror as a standalone 'unless the rest of the side view is cactus'.

Try e-bay as mentioned above, you can also get these made up at places such as Windscreen O'briens etc 'sounds like the e-bay option is the cheapest though'.

Unsure if you can purchase these as a seperate line item from Subaru.

As always, before laying cash down to a windscreen place/wreckers etc make sure you cross check what it would cost to either buy the part 'if possible', or the unit brand new as sometimes you'll be horribly suprised.

Another thing to consider 'this may have changed though', I don't think you'll be able to get the backing part of the mirror 'the rubber surround', from a windscreen place unless they're able to utilise the existing one.

If you can source the e-bay option for anywhere near the price mentioned above, I'd be buying quite a few spares. ;)

Sethor 25-01-2012 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Letchy;646533]Bumping this for anyone else's thoughts...

I just cracked the glass in my right mirror. Anyone ever tried just getting the mirror itself from a wrecker? What would the rough price of getting a glass/mirror maker to make one be?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Which model do you have? I have some GD mirrors at home when I switched to Hydrophilic mirrors.

GTB Liberty 25-01-2012 06:41 PM

In the past I just got glass cut and glued in.

The crack pipe price for whole assembly made the decision easier.

Pimpreza 25-01-2012 07:23 PM

^^^^ Same here, cost me about $20 from memory, didn't fit perfectly but a couple of blobs of Sikaflex sorted it out & after 3yrs I've never really noticed it. Old one comes out easy enough, just flip the plastic surround back on a corner & hook a knife under it to break the double sided tape then make your template from the broken mirror, biggest problem is you really want 2mm glass and they will usually only cut 3mm which won't slide under the plastic outer trim again.

Letchy 31-01-2012 04:07 PM

Thanks everyone. Of all the wreckers I called, not one of them said they would separate the mirror itself from the unit.

My car is a gc8 so the gd mirrors wouldn't work but thanks anyway =)

I had a quick look on ebay but couldn't really find anything. I ended up going to a place in Balcatta called Glasscraft. Unit 5/14 Cressall Road if anyone else needs to do the same thing. I just took in the plastic part of the mirror that the mirror itself sits in and they cut up a piece for $25. After that I just stuck some more double sided sticky tape on and popped it back in. It fits inside it quite well even though, as said previously, they cut 3mm instead of the normal 2mm

Letchy 31-01-2012 04:08 PM

And yeh, wreckers charged around 120 for a whole mirror when you can get a brand one set for around the same price off ebay. Crack pipe price indeed