Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Cosmetic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/)
-   -   Exhaust Defect/lowness "Warning" (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic/48864-exhaust-defect-lowness-warning.html)

JDGT05 04-05-2012 07:59 AM

Exhaust Defect/lowness "Warning"

Hey guys,

Had a run in with the police last night they pulled me over for a "random" breath test. After breezing through that they decided to inspect my car for the next 30 minutes. Popped my bonnet and they found nothing as the guy barely new his way around the engine bay.

This was followed by "mate your car is too low, I don't have my measuring tools but it's definitely too low, also these exhaust tips, going to have to get them fixed mate, they have to sit flush with your rear guard they can't stick out like that". I won't give you a sticker tonight but get it fixed.

I believe the lowest part of the car is allowed to be 100mm off the ground (correct me if I'm wrong) the problem I face is that all though the rest of the exhaust sits at the correct height but it drops below legal where the 'Y' pipe splits off.

I have an Ultrex full Catback exhaust, anyone else had any run ins?

Basically, after I have wasted the last 5 minutes of your life listing to me dabble.

Anyone want to recommend me an exhaust shop that I can get some custom work done to get that Y pipe sitting higher as well as dropping those tips in a little deeper. And if anyone has had this happen before how much am I looking at?

I wish to avoid police attention as much as much as possible, difficult in a red car but ah well.

Picture of the exhaust tips in question.

[IMG]http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/jamesdavies64/IMG_5692.jpg[/IMG]

Thankyou in advance for reading through my dribble.

nauli 04-05-2012 08:03 AM

Have you measured the lowest part of the exhaust?
The tips look fine imo...they do not extend beyond the line of the top of the bumper so I see no problem....

JDGT05 04-05-2012 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;674496]Have you measured the lowest part of the exhaust?
The tips look fine imo...they do not extend beyond the line of the top of the bumper so I see no problem....[/QUOTE]

Lowest part is currently lower than 100mm but it's just where the y pipe bends and splits off. The rest of the exhaust sits well above legal requirements. The exhaust sits off the existing hangers that we're there from stock so when it got put in I just figured that would be ok (obviously not)

Jordiee 04-05-2012 08:12 AM

yeah tips look fine, dunno about your ride height though

the fender-tyre gap or lack thereof would probably attract the most attention

magic1 04-05-2012 08:15 AM

ignore it, carry on.

GTB Liberty 04-05-2012 08:18 AM

A police officer issuing a "road worthy" warning can say anything they desire as there is no repercussion if they get it wrong.

Strubaru 04-05-2012 08:24 AM

any police officer that knows thier shit would know that the size of thie police issue note pad is 100mm, they use this a measuring stick for the 100mm rule ;)

if you want the exhaust cut & shut so it sits higher go & see sean at grapnel exhausts in balcatta, top bloke, should be able to help you out

Kato 04-05-2012 08:33 AM

Remember it is 100mm - fully loaded.

If you want to avoid the attention of the law, don't sit on the minimum height - keep it at 110-120mm off the ground and have no problems. Tucked wheels are what draws the attention to your ride height.

Exhaust looks ok from this angle, but should be an easy fix for any exhaust shop.

JDGT05 04-05-2012 08:38 AM

Willing to pay to put my car over the pits if I get stickered :)?

TROLLEY 04-05-2012 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=JD.WRX;674513]Willing to pay to put my car over the pits if I get stickered :)?[/QUOTE]

Carry your own ruler and advise constable cuntbubble that the exhaust tips are legal as they don't protrude past the line of the bumper. They don't need to be tucked in under the bottom of the bumper, else everyone's bumpers would be black with soot.

ImPreSiV 04-05-2012 08:52 AM

no work order - no worries

JDGT05 04-05-2012 08:58 AM

What should I do about the drop in the Y pipe which is lower than the 100mm?

ImPreSiV 04-05-2012 09:02 AM

raise your car up so it's above 100mm?

MY99GT 04-05-2012 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;674528]raise your car up so it's above 100mm?[/QUOTE]

Kym knows a bit about car heights.... :) :)

JDGT05 04-05-2012 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;674528]raise your car up so it's above 100mm?[/QUOTE]

I Guess, I like it's current height though :(

kid 04-05-2012 09:50 AM

You'll fine that raising it slightly won't make that much difference to the look of the car...

Everytime i've had a slammed car raised i was always emo about it looking shit until all my mates were like "can't even tell"....

Rexxar 04-05-2012 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=magic1;674501]ignore it, carry on.[/QUOTE]

+1

Even if you did get yellowed for ride height return to stock sping/shocks and it will pass no problems

My car sits pretty low and so does my cannon(old setup) and I have always passed "the height" test at pits everytime

squid 04-05-2012 12:33 PM

No sticker, no problem?
In case of canary, put stock/ raise to stock height, pass pits, then dump it on its ass even lower&repeat.
WA Defect laws 101 :)

teejay 04-05-2012 01:32 PM

Play the game, be prepared to take the good and bad.

"ohhh no my car isnt legal, but I am worried it will be defected for.. not being legal"

make it legal or be prepared to wear a defect.

JDGT05 04-05-2012 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;674620]Play the game, be prepared to take the good and bad.

"ohhh no my car isnt legal, but I am worried it will be defected for.. not being legal"

make it legal or be prepared to wear a defect.[/QUOTE]

I was unaware that the way I had setup my car and the parts I used were not legal until the officer told me so last night. After looking through what is legal and what isn't I found that my car may not meet the legal height requirements, exhaust is the only issue so I will either have to get that raised or raise the suspension.

fsk 04-05-2012 03:22 PM

imo ignore douchebag cop on powertrip who didn't even have the balls or confidence to follow through with defect notice.

If he believed your car deserved a defect he would have given one, the knobhead didn't know what he was talking about and just wanted to be a big man

Kato 04-05-2012 03:37 PM

^^^ Lol.

Or he might have been a normal person who thought he'd just give the guy a warning this time.

GTB Liberty 04-05-2012 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;674665]^^^ Lol.

Or he might have been a normal person who thought he'd just give the guy a warning this time.[/QUOTE]

I think it comes down to your attitude at the time of police accusation.

Got pulled over by Police in a mates car. Tint was too dark - I knew that. Was polite and got let off speeding ticket and defect for tint.

Cops leaving words were "tell your mate the tint's too dark".

bryno 04-05-2012 04:09 PM

Showing respect and patience goes a long way when dealing with police. They don't get paid enough to put up with peoples shit.

But +1 for leaving car as is.

Onerex 04-05-2012 04:21 PM

unless it's a bike cop. They do not get off their bikes just to have a freindly chat no matter how polite you are.

phizzle 04-05-2012 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=bryno;674677]Showing respect and patience goes a long way when dealing with police. They don't get paid enough to put up with peoples shit.[/QUOTE]
Quoted for truth. If I was a cop probably wouldn't be for long because I'd be busting people in the head with my wellness stick or shooting wife bashers and child molesters and breaking theives fingers.

That's a bad criminal and I smack him on the head.

[IMG]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/phizzle24/magicwellnessstick.jpg[/IMG]