Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

glen93 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Rear speakers are shit because they drag your sound stage backwards. You want the sound to come in front of you, not from behind you (fuck passengers, if you have a halfway decent system they'll hear it clearly in front of them anyhow). Ideally you want the sound stage to be at the front of the car, with vocals centred over the middle of your dash (slightly to your left). Rear speakers will fuck that shit up.

To achieve a nice, centred sound stage you will need a decent head unit that has a "time correction" feature. The best two picks are:

Alpine Electronics of Australia

DEH-80PRS TEAM Pioneer DEH-80PRS Reference Series CD Tuner (2012 Model) - Pioneer Car Stereo - Digital Media Receiver

Not cheap, but very much worth basing a system around.

Forget about the wattage rating on speakers. It's mostly meaningless. The speaker doesn't make the power... you can feed a 80w rated driver 150w if you like. You just need to ensure your gains are set accordingly and that you don't send a clipped (distorted) signal to the speaker.

As for brands, it's really up to your ears. Audition, audition, audition. Go to every shop you can and listen to Alpine, Focal, Pioneer, Hertz, Audison, Rockford Fosgate, etc. I am biased towards Focal because my ears like their sound. You may prefer Type-Rs over the equivalent priced Focals (though I'd be shocked if you did :P ). You may like Hertz, which are great value for money all through their range. At the end of the day, it's your ears that are the boss of decision making.

edit: I was going to say that you're welcome to audition my system if you like but you're in Albany, lol
Very good write up, thanks heaps! Heaps of questions

1. What is time correction? i quite like the look of JVC's cheap double din headunits, but obviously if it will sound bad, no point
2. So, the back speakers can stay stock? or perhaps no where near as good? (Type R fronts and type J or S rears?)
3. would it be better to get a 2 channel amp and save money over getting a 4 channel?
4. i only have really been basing around RMS wattage of speakers, i dont really have anywhere local that have speakers set up available for listening, so i really do need to go off of advice thats given

I think deep down i know that Alpine are going to be good, i've had type S's in my old silvia with no amp, off a cheap alpine head unit, and it was alright, distorted up loud due to no power, and also had no bass at all, but i should have got a sub if i wanted bass. Is amplifier brand also something to look at? i guess an alpine amp at 60W x 4 will be better than a JVC equivalent?

Cheers
Old 08-02-2013, 03:53 PM

glen93 at standard level

Quote:
Rear speakers are shit because they drag your sound stage backwards. You want the sound to come in front of you, not from behind you (fuck passengers, if you have a halfway decent system they'll hear it clearly in front of them anyhow). Ideally you want the sound stage to be at the front of the car, with vocals centred over the middle of your dash (slightly to your left). Rear speakers will fuck that shit up.

To achieve a nice, centred sound stage you will need a decent head unit that has a "time correction" feature. The best two picks are:

Alpine Electronics of Australia

DEH-80PRS TEAM Pioneer DEH-80PRS Reference Series CD Tuner (2012 Model) - Pioneer Car Stereo - Digital Media Receiver

Not cheap, but very much worth basing a system around.

Forget about the wattage rating on speakers. It's mostly meaningless. The speaker doesn't make the power... you can feed a 80w rated driver 150w if you like. You just need to ensure your gains are set accordingly and that you don't send a clipped (distorted) signal to the speaker.

As for brands, it's really up to your ears. Audition, audition, audition. Go to every shop you can and listen to Alpine, Focal, Pioneer, Hertz, Audison, Rockford Fosgate, etc. I am biased towards Focal because my ears like their sound. You may prefer Type-Rs over the equivalent priced Focals (though I'd be shocked if you did :P ). You may like Hertz, which are great value for money all through their range. At the end of the day, it's your ears that are the boss of decision making.

edit: I was going to say that you're welcome to audition my system if you like but you're in Albany, lol
For some reason, my previous post didnt send, so i'll have to try to remember what i asked, but, lots of questions

1. so i dont need to worry about back speakers? i dont ever take any passengers, so its just me and my misses, maybe only get lower wattage speakers in the back? and dont amplify them?
2. So, that alpine head unit is going to sound a lot better than a JVC double din touchscreen for $300ish? If the quality is cleary going to be there, then i will go the Alpine, if it may not be noticible, then a screen would be pretty cool
3. Am i best to stick with the same brand of parts? if i go alpine head unit, and went alpine speakers, should i also go alpine amp?
4. im not really close to anywhere that has speaker brands set up, so i really have to go off of advice, i had Alpine type S speakers un-amplified in my old car, and they were good, of course they distorted at loud volume, but thats probably because of the lack of power? and bass didnt exist at all, but i guess that's why you get a sub?

Cheers
Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 PM

glen93 at standard level

For some reason, my previous post didnt send, so i'll have to try to remember what i asked, but, lots of questions

1. so i dont need to worry about back speakers? i dont ever take any passengers, so its just me and my misses, maybe only get lower wattage speakers in the back? and dont amplify them?
2. So, that alpine head unit is going to sound a lot better than a JVC double din touchscreen for $300ish? If the quality is cleary going to be there, then i will go the Alpine, if it may not be noticible, then a screen would be pretty cool
3. Am i best to stick with the same brand of parts? if i go alpine head unit, and went alpine speakers, should i also go alpine amp?
4. im not really close to anywhere that has speaker brands set up, so i really have to go off of advice, i had Alpine type S speakers un-amplified in my old car, and they were good, of course they distorted at loud volume, but thats probably because of the lack of power? and bass didnt exist at all, but i guess that's why you get a sub?

Cheers
Old 08-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

1. No, fuck rear speakers off completely unless you intend to run a 5.1 Dolby surround system.

2. The Alpine head unit will be miles in front in regards to both sound quality and features. Using the time correction function alone will blow any $300 deck out of the water.

3. Where are you intending to purchase from if you can't go anywhere to audition? Who is going to install it?

If you're definitely buying online, email Marty @ FHRX Studios in NSW. He only sells quality gear and is one of the most knowledgeable and reputable car audio people in the country. Flick him an email, tell him how much you want to spend and what sort of sound you like (are you going for all out pounding subs/volume, or prefer sound quality and accurate reproduction) and he will give you great advice and suggestions. He doesn't even care if you don't end up buying anything from him, he will still give you sound advice and answer whatever question you fire at him.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Quote:
2. The Alpine head unit will be miles in front in regards to both sound quality and features. Using the time correction function alone will blow any $300 deck out of the water.
I have recently acquired that particular Alpine headunit, will cost you $341 to the door if you get it the same way as I did.
Not a bad unit for the price
Old 08-02-2013, 05:55 PM

glen93 at standard level

Even if that headunit was just thrown in and the settings not played with to much? Would still sound quite a bit better?

We have a pretty decent car audio shop down here with a few guys i know running it, but, Theres no audio wall or anything like you find in perth

Il send him an email! Thanks heaps for all your help

At the moment im in a car with 6x9's in the back that are actually over powering the fronts, so, its probably going to be a very big difference!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:55 PM

glen93 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
I have recently acquired that particular Alpine headunit, will cost you $341 to the door if you get it the same way as I did.
Not a bad unit for the price
Which way did you get it? :P
Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen93 View Post
Even if that headunit was just thrown in and the settings not played with to much? Would still sound quite a bit better?
That head unit sounded a lot better than the OEM one that was in the car.
It sounds like I can drive the speakers more than what I could before.

Quote:
Which way did you get it? :P
Via Ebay, will PM the details through to you.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Better than a $300 JVC unit? Yes. Remember, what you gain in a big touch screen you lose in features and quality internals. They have to make that double-din screen affordable somehow...
Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM

glen93 at standard level

Very good point^^

What would be the choice out of these two? just had a chat with a friend at an audio shop and was told that the Type R's will distort before the Kenwoods?

Type R: NEW ALPINE TYPE-R SPR-17S 6.5" Component Car Speakers 660W SPR17S 220W RMS | eBay
Kenwood KFC-X1730P: NEW Kenwood KFC-X1730P 6-1/2" 2-Way High Performance Component Speaker System | eBay

Also, what are the thoughts on the PDX F4 and PDX F6 amps?

Tags
2004, audio, sizes, speaker, suggestions, wrx