Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Evolution R (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/evolution-r/)
-   -   Cusco 1.3kg/cm2 Radiator Cap (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/evolution-r/42539-cusco-1-3kg-cm2-radiator-cap.html)

mao 29-05-2011 10:21 PM

Cusco 1.3kg/cm2 Radiator Cap

Hi Guys,

[B]CUSCO HIGH PRESSURE TYPE RADIATOR CAP ---- RRP -- A$40, P.wrx --A$25
[/B]
[B]FEATURE
[/B]Raises the boiling point for better cooling efficiency, prevents over heating.

Fortified main pressure valve spring and silicon packing are used to raise the pressure inside the radiator for a higher boiling point. The coolant will not boil easily, prevents air bubbles in the block and radiator core with improved heat transfer.

CUSCO's high pressure radiator caps works at 1.3kg/cm2 at zero atmospheric pressure. In practice though, the atmospheric pressure of the road surface (approximately 1.0kg/cm2) is added and the pressure is 2.3kg/cm2.

[IMG]http://www.partshelper.com/images/cusco_cap_a.jpg[/IMG]

squid 29-05-2011 11:58 PM

so this would be a beneficial addition to my 05sti with its new koyo 53mill rad? because i have always been told don't change the rad. cap?

mao 30-05-2011 12:49 PM

Yes it will as the thread says.

Out of interest, why were you told not to chg the cap?

Pimpreza 31-05-2011 12:29 AM

A lot of people are advised not to change on older cars because it can cause the older perished hoses to split/burst under the extra pressure.

mao 31-05-2011 01:08 AM

Very good point.

It is like saying should I chg to lowered springs when my shocks are worn.

In the case of aging radiators, yes technically you are right.

The cooling system is a very vital part of the car, if your radiator is so old that it cannot handle .2 bar of pressure over standard, the radiator should be serviced or changed.

Preventive maintenance of the radiator should always be done especially on a high performance car.

As iterated above, by raising the pressure in the radiator, boiling pt is decreased. Running lower temps on a turbo-charged car extends both the performance and longetiivity of the engine.

I would rather replace my radiator than my engine.

Thanks for the comment, will have to post some good performance radiators up within the week.

[QUOTE=Pimpreza;571186]A lot of people are advised not to change on older cars because it can cause the older perished hoses to split/burst under the extra pressure.[/QUOTE]

Jordiee 31-05-2011 01:16 AM

i think my hoses would probably explode, given the amount of k's on my car, i do have a new radiator though

mao 31-05-2011 01:38 AM

Another good comment.

Just as I said before, the cooling system is vital to the engine. And if your radiator was so worn that it needed to be replaced (radiator is made of aluminium), the hoses should be changed too.

Guys, if your cooling system cannot accept 0.2bar more pressure for better cooling, pls service your cooling system. Will save you your heads, headgaskets and engine in the long run.

gosh, you guys want me to bring the whole catalogue over.

I am in the middle of negotiations to bring radiators and silicon hose sets for the Subies. Won't be long guys.

red dragon2002 06-07-2011 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=Jordiee;571194]i think my hoses would probably explode, given the amount of k's on my car, i do have a new radiator though[/QUOTE]

i have high k's on car also however have changed all my radiator hoses to silicone from ai performance. my radiator has done 40k. im assuming that this radiator cap will be fine in my car?

mao 06-07-2011 10:33 PM

The 1.3 cap is a good upgrade for a cooling system in good working order. It increases the pressure thereby giving you better cooling efficiency.

A lot of ppl have asked the same question as you have, and I would say yes it will perform better.

Some people have said that it will cause their radiator to leak blah blah. A radiator that cannot take 1.3 of pressure had better be replaced.

Cooling mods should always be one for the first mods on a car. In saying that, this will include a bigger radiator, lower temp thermostat, lower temp thermatic switch(or a fan adjustable fan controller) and silicon hoses.

I am really glad you are modding your cooling system, as 4 degC cooler equates to 1 extra hp.

Regards,
Mao

[QUOTE=red dragon2002;582597]i have high k's on car also however have changed all my radiator hoses to silicone from ai performance. my radiator has done 40k. im assuming that this radiator cap will be fine in my car?[/QUOTE]

red dragon2002 07-07-2011 01:19 PM

^ thank you for the extra info mao, much appreciated. will be keen for one in the near future when my major service is being performed