Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   My dick your dick (DYNO's) (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/10108-my-dick-your-dick-dynos.html)

POLARBEAR666 08-02-2007 03:43 PM

Car in same state of tune WOK HUB DYNO = 255kW BOSCH ROLLER =234kw@wheels.

Have done a few runs on both and both are consistent with previous runs on each dyno but always that 20kw difference.

jEstEr? 10-02-2007 07:16 PM

[QUOTE='[BANNED]']How can anyone say that a specific dyno is "more accurate" than another dyno? [/QUOTE]

more/less air in your tyres, strap the car down harder/softer, different size wheels / tyres, if the car is centered on the rollers or off to one side. These are all factors that can be changed and are eliminated with the use of a hub dyno.

At the end of the day, roller to roller, its nor the dyno which is less accurate, its the operator.

and ps, what the shit is with mainlines using one gear less

WRP10 10-02-2007 07:18 PM

But the thing is, the hub dyno gives as useless a reading as flywheel kw because you dont drive around on your hubs, wheel kw is actually your final usable power reading

AC Schnitzer 10-02-2007 07:32 PM

I reckon posting AWHP/AWKW along with 1/4 mile timings would be better.

I've seen people who has 69awhp more than I do and did the same timing as me.

Kato 11-02-2007 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=WRPI0]But the thing is, the hub dyno gives as useless a reading as flywheel kw because you dont drive around on your hubs, wheel kw is actually your final usable power reading[/QUOTE]

A hub dyno reading is far from useless. As mentioned by Jester above, there are a lot of tricks that can be done on a roller dyno to increase/decrease power output.

The major advantage of the hub dyno is it is very consistent, which allows you to see the performance gains (or losses) of a particular modification.

The big thing is a dyno readout is just that, a readout on a particular day for particular conditions. Comparing dyno to dyno and doing the "Ha I beat you by 1hp" is crazy.

Power output and the quarter mile terminal speed are some of the best indicators of a cars true speed in my opinion.

207 de 11-02-2007 11:57 AM

so the mainline is the same as a DD but with different software only?

so why run it in 4th? as matt said, Maybe there is some internal hardware differences? To get the power reading the car drives a dynamo right? That generates a paticular wattage, so maybe the motor windings or rpm specs are different in the ML. I'm sure the power figures should be comparable between ML and DD....

astralex 11-02-2007 02:15 PM

I wasn't aware that dyno runs were done in fourth or fifth. the last time mine was done in Adelaide on a DynoDynamics (I think) it was in third. hmmm

pmh 11-02-2007 04:25 PM

6MT - 5th gear dyno
5MT - 4th gear dyno
4AT - 3rd gear(?)

astralex 11-02-2007 06:43 PM

5MT... Does it really make that much difference?

teejay 11-02-2007 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=atz 242]so the mainline is the same as a DD but with different software only?

so why run it in 4th? as matt said, Maybe there is some internal hardware differences? To get the power reading the car drives a dynamo right? That generates a paticular wattage, so maybe the motor windings or rpm specs are different in the ML. I'm sure the power figures should be comparable between ML and DD....[/QUOTE]

They are

example - Anthony Scali AKA ND4SPD R32 GTR

Made 882 @ autosalon on a mainline dyno, made 889 on Xspeed DD dyno a few nights before.