Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Lap top's on remote work locations (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/1040-lap-tops-remote-work-locations.html)

blackwrx 26-08-2005 06:18 PM

Lap top's on remote work locations

I know a couple of people here work on the mines, I am looking at a position that is FIFO and requires living in a campsite at Murrin Murrin. Do the rooms have connections for phone or internet?

If not what sought of setup would I need to use to be able to access the net while working away?

cheers!

tuna 26-08-2005 06:36 PM

with the few ive been to, (telfer, woodie woodie) they usually dont,

although some are lucky enough to provide very localised wireless internet access to some of the more premium donga's.

unfortunately most of these remote sites are served by satellite, so phone lines are at a premium,

REXXX 26-08-2005 06:41 PM

do said sites have GSM coverage?

tuna 26-08-2005 06:44 PM

unsure about telfer, but woodie woodie certainly didnt,

mind you, telfer has an excellent radio link back to port headland, around 2mbit, so if you hop on the contractors lan there you shouldnt have any problems getting decent comms.

STi Tuned 26-08-2005 06:49 PM

CDMA 1x might be another option if they have coverage.

Bigpond just released a plan that doesn't cost an arm & a leg. Tho at around 100kbs it won't knock your socks off.

blackwrx 26-08-2005 06:54 PM

Does anyone have experience with Murrin? They run scitech control systems and surely they would have phone coverage of some sought.

The Donga I will be in has Foxtel etc but I forgot to ask about a phone line or internet access!

Ethos 26-08-2005 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=blackwrx]Does anyone have experience with Murrin? They run scitech control systems and surely they would have phone coverage of some sought.

The Donga I will be in has Foxtel etc but I forgot to ask about a phone line or internet access![/QUOTE]

Area C don't have internet access in rooms...I think it will be the same with all the BHP sites...Stace Woodie Woodie is a craphole!

blackwrx 26-08-2005 10:05 PM

Area "C" is that for the contractors?

I will be working for BOC if I decide to take the position, the rooms are meant to be your own full ensuite!
Do these ones have internet access?

Thanks.

Ethos 27-08-2005 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=blackwrx]Area "C" is that for the contractors?

I will be working for BOC if I decide to take the position, the rooms are meant to be your own full ensuite!
Do these ones have internet access?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

mate if you're a contractor onsite i doubt they will give you your own ensuite room...when i was on contract, i got a shitty transportable until i was made "staff"...most contractors are given older and less appealing rooms...anyway things could be different at murrin...and Area C is a mining post...

blackwrx 27-08-2005 05:25 AM

This is a "staff" position with BOC, BOC pay for the accomodation and have told me that they do not expect their technicians to stay in the little notty boxes and like things to be comfortable for their staff.

If anyone knows what BOC do at Murrin I am sure they are aware that the BOC staff are looked after very well :occasion1