Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   B Registered Cars (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/12976-b-registered-cars.html)

Chaddy 10-06-2007 02:35 PM

B Registered Cars

Hey guys just a quick few questions for those who've got a B registered car.

1. Whats the costs with dpi, insurance, etc
2. Are you actually allowed to drive it for "test" purposes between events
3. Is it worth doing or just risk it until u get pulled and hammered by the cops for a roll cage etc, then go down that path :p

I'm considering a few options for next year, but many of them lead to being pretty illegal for road use. If it isn't too hard the rex might become a weekend track car with a daily shitter for the week, otherwise i sell the wrx and and go buy something a bit newer and just live with minor mods. Just chasing some opinions...

Cheers
Brent

dtrally 10-06-2007 09:39 PM

I have two B registered cars, It's the same wording on the license as the classic and vintage car guys have for about $60 a year rego but it costs me $479 each :mad:
You can drive during an event, to or from an event, to or from a place of repair or display only. You better have a good excuse if Mr Plod sees you driving to work two days in a row. It's a special dispensation for genuine competition cars to remain licensed, some cars have been licensed using this scheme to simply circumvent compliance requirements and are being daily driven. If too many tools get caught doing this they'll more than likely shut it down. In N.S.W. they have a similar set up but with dedicated number plates. You need to ring up a 1800 number and get a permit every time you drive the car. If your car is mildly modified you may be able to get an A class rego with a modification permit instead. Intrusion bars, hydraulic handbrake, pedal box, bag tank etc. are all immediate B rego though.

astralex 10-06-2007 10:23 PM

Is this similar to DRC?

dtrally 10-06-2007 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=astralex]Is this similar to DRC?[/QUOTE]

Yep, different states have different names for what is essentially the same scheme. The annoying thing is that classic cars get a substantial reduction in license fees, yet rally cars do not. The total Km of both my cars combined last year would be lucky to top 800 Km.

astralex 10-06-2007 11:00 PM

I see... I was meant to get DRC on my rally car over here in SA. But haven't been bother yet. Seeing it is for sale now, and the fact that I've never been pulled over in it.

urabus 11-06-2007 07:39 AM

You can not license a car B-Reg until you have your level 3 Cams license. Level 3 involves an observed license test. There are only 2 people that can do this. I got a third person to do it and he has sonce had a spat with CAMS and they will not recognise his OLT's so I am back to square one.

I would not try and compromise. Either build a flat out race car and buy a shitter or keep it legal.

I think with the going between place of repair etc there is a bit of lattitude but if Mr Plod saw you giving it an absolute gutfull through the streets he would tear you a new hole.

Cheers

Chaddy 11-06-2007 09:19 AM

Thanks for the input Brendon and everyone, thats the sorta facts i was chasing. The level 3 cams is a bit of a pain and no license fee reductions.... i mean seriously wtf hey. Yeah this is probably going to push me towards the new car with only minor modifications option, just wanted to investigate it anyway.

Cheers
Brent

urabus 11-06-2007 03:25 PM

There is a heap of crap out there and people dont know what they are talking about. It seems that the goal posts keep moving aswell. They are trying to tighten it up to avoid people abusing the system. One of the biggest issues is that they still let you have state plates. This means that some nasty people have been selling uncomplianced b reg cars to people as if they were fully legitimate.

There are heaps of loopholes though. i.e. with the level 3 cams license. ALl you need to do to get around it is register it in a company name. How can a company get a level 3 license.

I am pulling my hair out at the moment trying to get mine done. I think once you have done the first one it will be much easier.

Denver 11-06-2007 10:12 PM

All the rules change in about two months anyway, so the current rules won't mean much

Miggidy 11-06-2007 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=Denver]All the rules change in about two months anyway, so the current rules won't mean much[/QUOTE]

how will they change?