Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Audio Controls (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/13063-steering-wheel-audio-controls.html)

jacox 13-06-2007 07:00 PM

Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Ok i wasn't to sure where to post this, but here's the deal.
I need some advice on installing steering wheel controls. ATM i don't have the controls so i was wondering if you can buy them and do a mod job on your steering wheel to install them or do you actually have to buy a whole new steering wheel with the controls already built in?
If this is the case then where do i get one of these steering wheels and how much?
The controls are going to control this head unit > [URL]http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=287[/URL]

Is it possible to buy a steering wheel control kit? I know you can buy kits that let you use your existing controls with a new head unit but i haven't found just a control kit as of yet...

Cheers guys (and s :D )

wai 13-06-2007 07:08 PM

tape your remote to the steering wheel ;) jk
don't think is possible or at least i haven't never seen one done before

jacox 13-06-2007 07:20 PM

so you don't think it would be possible to say, grab the controls of a hyundai getz steering wheel and then use a kit to connect them to the head unit?
surely its possible...

wild_rx 13-06-2007 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=jacox]so you don't think it would be possible to say, grab the controls of a hyundai getz steering wheel and then use a kit to connect them to the head unit?
surely its possible...[/QUOTE]

sounds a bit too much like hard work really!! why cant you just push the button on the unit???

wai 13-06-2007 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=jacox]so you don't think it would be possible to say, grab the controls of a hyundai getz steering wheel and then use a kit to connect them to the head unit?
surely its possible...[/QUOTE]

connect to where in the headunit??? there is no input for volume adj or anything like that. even on a cars that comes with such controls if you change the head unit the controls are useless

Luigi 13-06-2007 08:14 PM

Isnt that why they provide the unit with a remote control and a small one at that. Seems close to impossible for a setup like that. The new MY08 is going to have the controls on the wheel so just steel a MY08 steering wheel may make it look better.

astralex 13-06-2007 10:24 PM

I'm with Wild RX, are people getting too damn lazy to switch the dials on a head unit? And don't say it's because it's a distraction, because I find I'm looking more at the buttons on the wheel of my other car when I want to change something.

jacox 15-06-2007 04:43 PM

ok don't get all worked up about it :P the controls on the head unit are perfectly adequate, but i was just wondering if it was possible.

gorotsuki69 15-06-2007 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=jacox]ok don't get all worked up about it :P the controls on the head unit are perfectly adequate, but i was just wondering if it was possible.[/QUOTE]

I donno about WRXs but steering wheel controls come stock on Forester XTs, probably higher spec Outbacks and Liberties too. check with a wrecker perhaps

bumpstop 17-06-2007 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=wai]connect to where in the headunit??? there is no input for volume adj or anything like that. even on a cars that comes with such controls if you change the head unit the controls are useless[/QUOTE]

Alot of the alpine units have a small jack plug input in the rear for remote input, the trick is using the correct aftermarket adaptor to convert the signal into what the alpine will recognise, furthermore, there are also steering wheel interfaces that provide a transmitting eye that can be installed to operate units without hardwire input.
Most steering wheel controls are usually just basic switchs each with a different resistive value, so as to require as litte as one wire sometimes to convey the information of 6 or so buttons.
The buttons, interface and headunit are all nothing to sweat about, the trick will be to add the necessary extra contact(s) and brush(es) into the steering hub, that's the only real hurdle.
Just depends how much time and money you want to put into it.