Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Cats / Exhaust Question (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/13239-cats-exhaust-question.html)

devilfish 21-06-2007 10:11 AM

Cats / Exhaust Question

Ok, I'm going to get a SS exhaust, I'd like a free flowing design, BUT i dont want it really loud, I'd also like to get rid of the Cat.

What are my options? is it illegal over here to remove the cat? it was in the UK as you had to have the emissions tested every 12 months, i guess that dosent happen here.

Also, being a bit tight, is it mandatory to have a retune (verso?) after replacing the exhaust? as it would be better on my cashflow to wait a month or two after the exh swap.

Thanks in advance

Chris.

Mat 21-06-2007 10:19 AM

Yep its illegal (but so is speeding, being drunk and disorderly in public and talking on your mobile phone in the car- but we all do those things dont we :p) but i run straight thru 3" piping on my WRX and i've been over the pits 5 times in 4 years and only the last time i was told its too loud. Once the cat issue was picked up by a younger bloke working there and he just told me "you have a special dump pipe with a cat in it. ok!"

It was loud and mine didnt really sound like a wrx in the higher rev's

phizzle 21-06-2007 10:22 AM

No cat = very large foot in ass. As for the tune and exhaust why don't you hold off and get them both at the same time?

The questions you have asked and are likely to ask in the future all have answers if you do a search through the forum. 3rd tab from the right, type in a topic, find whats relevant to you :)

joey89 21-06-2007 10:25 AM

Get an exhaust with a bolt in cat so you can bolt in straight through pipe in when you want and cat when you want best way.

If you dont want to loud id be leaving the cat in

nauli 21-06-2007 10:30 AM

No REPUTABLE workshop in WA will do an exhaust system without a cat...

pete gopal 21-06-2007 10:31 AM

Contact Rexwagon or whatever his nickname is here...Dylan is his name that's all i know :D full ss systems $650 :D and i would wait and get it installed by ASG with ur verso at the same time...btw dylans exhausts arent too loud...you are welcome to listen to it on my car. I'm as happy as pig in shit :D

BTW his systems have hi-flow cat...

Mat 21-06-2007 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=nauli]No REPUTABLE workshop in WA will do an exhaust system without a cat...[/QUOTE]

Enough people running no cats to say they will ;)

phizzle 21-06-2007 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=Mat]Enough people running no cats to say they will ;)[/QUOTE]
Cash job, no reciept, fuck that. As jester said in another thread: side pipes ftw

Jimmy S 21-06-2007 11:06 AM

There are a number of places that will fit a system without a cat... and you can often get away with it at the pits as stock WRX up-pipes have a cat in them!

nauli 21-06-2007 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=Mat]Enough people running no cats to say they will ;)[/QUOTE]
I did say "reputable" :p