Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Police hand held radars - Radar detector doesnt pikup (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/14507-police-hand-held-radars-radar-detector-doesnt-pikup.html)

Duxi 16-08-2007 11:33 AM

Police hand held radars - Radar detector doesnt pikup

Hey guys,

Apologies first if this topic has been done to death!

Just wanted to ask those people using radar detectors, if your radars pick up the police hand held radars. I know they use low power now and days and are hard to pick up, in fact my Beltronic Rx65 doesn't pick them up at all!

Luck im not speed racing around - but ive driven pass plenty of hand helds and havent seen anything come up on the detector..

Radar picks up Montinovas no problems tho..is it just a setting i'm not using? Or is everyone having this problem

Cheers
Duxi

BOMB3R 16-08-2007 11:35 AM

Dosen't matter anyway once the radar detects it its too late.

Duxi 16-08-2007 11:38 AM

True that! Hardcore..hahah :)

BREW 16-08-2007 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=PIGSTi]Dosen't matter anyway once the radar detects it its too late.[/QUOTE]

It does not help avoid the fine but it would reduce your fine :)

tuna 16-08-2007 11:59 AM

turn on K band and Laser,

the gun needs to be directly pointed at the detector as well,

invest in RX75 or equivelent detector to improve your chances

Intra 16-08-2007 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Duxi]Hey guys,

Apologies first if this topic has been done to death!

Just wanted to ask those people using radar detectors, if your radars pick up the police hand held radars. I know they use low power now and days and are hard to pick up, in fact my Beltronic Rx65 doesn't pick them up at all!

Luck im not speed racing around - but ive driven pass plenty of hand helds and havent seen anything come up on the detector..

Radar picks up Montinovas no problems tho..is it just a setting i'm not using? Or is everyone having this problem

Cheers
Duxi[/QUOTE]

Again... this is something that needs to be cleared up about Radar Detectors Threads.

1) In WA we use the following speed measurement devices. Radar, Laser, Multinova

2) Each of these speed measurement devices have different bands which they operate in (K , KA, Laser)

3)

If its handheld radar it would be using K band, K band notice is usually fairly good, however lots of things share this band such as automatic doors, some mobile phones etc.

If its Multinova it usually resides in the KA band which is not a good as K band for detection, but with the help of a vertical mount it may improve.

If its Laser its a "Laser" warning on the detector, Lasers are "INSTANT ON" devices and by the time it warns you, its too late.

I've driven past a police officer with a hand held radar before on Kings Park Road, i even turned around went through the radar again to check the range, Warning was excellent as far as i could see. I turned around a third time and the officer flagged me down asking what i was doing.

I gave him blurb about what i was doing and he said that Radar detectors are illegal and that they dont work (also that these new fangdangled radars are low powered) blah blah blah.. i removed the unit and placed it in my glove compartment and drove off.

Duxi 16-08-2007 12:12 PM

Nice reply!

nice bit of flirtin with the law there too..hahah :)

Senario: I haven't done this b4 but was alway curious to know:

If u fly pass a handheld over the speed limit and they dont catch you there and then with a patrol car..can they still fine you after the fact, if they got your plates and speed but no photo evidence or a physical stop?

Interest to know if this has ever happened to anyone..not that i try it to find out...hahah

saturation 16-08-2007 12:27 PM

Make sure you run it in highway mode, will increase sensitivity.

ImPreSiV 16-08-2007 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=Duxi]Senario: I haven't done this b4 but was alway curious to know:

If u fly pass a handheld over the speed limit and they dont catch you there and then with a patrol car..can they still fine you after the fact, if they got your plates and speed but no photo evidence or a physical stop?

Interest to know if this has ever happened to anyone..not that i try it to find out...hahah[/QUOTE]

If they get your plates, u could probably expect a policeman at your door in the near future..

Im not aware how the unit's work, i don't think your rego plate shows up on the hand held radar, just the speed you are travelling, so assuming this, if you were going fast enough, they wouldn't have time to read your plates...

[SIZE=1]*note: I do not condone this kind of behaviour.[/SIZE]

Booga 16-08-2007 12:52 PM

I have been 'pulled over' a few times as a result of handheld lasers
(LTI-2020)

The detector goes off 'LASER ALERT!' as the cop walks out to direct me to pull over - ie Too late.

The best course of action is to pretend your have been blinded by the laser as a result of it being aimed at your face. blabbing..."I have a migraine - black dots in my vision - I cant see!"