Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone purchased a car over east and driven it back? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/16227-anyone-purchased-car-over-east-driven-back.html)

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:30 PM

Anyone purchased a car over east and driven it back?

According to DPI, if i purchase a vehicle over east and drive it back, it becomes unlicensed here the moment it enters the border (requiring temp movement permit).

Has anyone gone through this process? My main concern is whether I will need temporary movement permits in all the other states inbetween as well. Does NSW let you register the vehicle in NSW if you are a WA resident?

I have confirmed that I am not required to pay Stamp duty in perth if i have receipt for payment in NSW.

I am planning on ringing the RTA etc, however i think ive used up my daily allowance of annoying my coworkers with car related chatter :) Any help appreciated, cheers!

chee 07-11-2007 02:35 PM

Shouldnt do? As long as the rego plates are still good.

Kato 07-11-2007 02:35 PM

Interested in this too. Always considered buying a new car over east (and paying less stamp duty) then returning on a driving holiday.

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=Kato]Interested in this too. Always considered buying a new car over east (and paying less stamp duty) then returning on a driving holiday.[/QUOTE]

Something to note regarding insurance matters. RAC wont let you hang around with the car in the other state. You get 2 days before you have to make your journey home. Alternative is to insure it with an eastern states insurance company. However I havnt called any of them to see if they will insure it if the primary place of residence is perth....

BrennyV 07-11-2007 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=Smokey]it becomes unlicensed here the moment it enters the border (requiring temp movement permit).
[/QUOTE]
[font=Calibri][size=3]When I purchased a interstate vehicle I was told this would only happen on transfer of name. So i drove the car with nsw rego then transferred when I was ready :P[/size][/font]

Fozzy 07-11-2007 02:42 PM

I found when I looked into this I got three different stories from three different people at dpi..

I can not see how it become unregistered the moment if comes into WA as trucks, vans people holiday every day over here etc.. Thats like saying if they come to WA there car is unregistered..

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:42 PM

[QUOTE='[4MUFF]'][font=Calibri][size=3]When I purchased a interstate vehicle I was told this would only happen on transfer of name. So i drove the car with nsw rego then transferred when I was ready :P[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

So how did u insure it if you didnt "own" it?

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=Fozzy]I found when I looked into this I got three different stories from three different people at dpi..

I can not see how it become unregistered the moment if comes into WA as trucks, vans people holiday every day over here etc.. Thats like saying if they come to WA there car is unregistered..[/QUOTE]

The guy said that isnt the case for them, it only happens if you reside in Perth.

GX-REX 07-11-2007 02:51 PM

When i bought my car of ebay, it was licensed in nsw until november. This was in april last year. I had it trucked over and drove it around for about 6 weeks. I got done speeding in it in that time and the cop said nothing about that, he was just interested as to why i got it so cheap. When i put it over the pits it was all good until the indian looking guy there went to test drive it he wanted a permit. As far as i know, if you go to nsw you can license it in your name and then there is no issue. The only thing you may need is a nsw residence to put on the paperwork.

Smokey 07-11-2007 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=GX-REX]When i bought my car of ebay, it was licensed in nsw until november. This was in april last year. I had it trucked over and drove it around for about 6 weeks. I got done speeding in it in that time and the cop said nothing about that, he was just interested as to why i got it so cheap. When i put it over the pits it was all good until the indian looking guy there went to test drive it he wanted a permit. As far as i know, if you go to nsw you can license it in your name and then there is no issue. The only thing you may need is a nsw residence to put on the paperwork.[/QUOTE]

Its all happy times until some tard in an evo hits me from behind though and insurance says lol :)

Steve_Richards 07-11-2007 03:03 PM

My mate bought an 04 STI from SA and just did a transfer of ownership in SA, saying that he lived in SA (using the guy he bought it offs address) then just got it sent here and licensed it here.

teejay 07-11-2007 03:03 PM

To be insured in your name, car has to be transferred in your name right?

I dont think a NSW resident can transfer ownership and NSW rego to you, I know when I got my 31 from over east the owner had to de-rego it to get it into my name. Needed a permit to drive it from the TNT holding yard.

edit - based on steve post you could do it with a "temporary" nsw address, but most likely going to void insurance anyhow so kinda defeats the purpose.

I have a feeling you will need a temp permit from each state to drive it back to be honest. Get it trained over with insurance, save the hassle. Cost is going to be similar.

urabus 07-11-2007 03:08 PM

I bought a brand new truck from Melbourne because if I buy it here it takes 5 months to get the body build and if I buy it out of melbourne it take 5 weeks.

When I pick up the truck they are giving me a 14 day permit with which to drive home on. Because it is through the company as long as the permit is in my company name I will have insurance so I spose I am lucky there.

I am planning on driving it back in three days. I have some trucks the same and they will sit on 130 all day long. This one has more power but has a big ass trailer so we will see. Also paid to get a bull bar put on the thing.

Once I get back here I take it over the pits and pay stamp duty at the WA rate and get issued with WA plates.

Brendon

meatbag 07-11-2007 03:10 PM

i bought my old mans car from nsw and drove it over here, when it took it to get registered they told me i was actually driving an unregistered car the moment it came out of nsw. not a problem because you can always say your just driving a mates car who is holidaying. insurance is going to be a bitch though if you crash

rubasu 07-11-2007 03:16 PM

Hey I just did this exercise recently from SA. I was told by WA DPI to drive it back on the SA plates and re-register it in WA when the rego expired which turned out to be a load of rubbish.

Each of the states are like their own little independent flaming monarchy that rules its own kingdom

As soon as I notified SA that the car had been transferred because my drivers license is West Australian the car got deregistered (even in SA).

None of the ppl at DPI know how this works and as for the SA trans dept they are even worse!

I got back but was a bit of a drama getting this all sorted out.

Goodluck eh

BrennyV 07-11-2007 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=Smokey]So how did u insure it if you didnt "own" it?[/QUOTE]
took the risk ;)