Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   2007/08 Forester XT Who would be the best dealer in perth to bargain with ? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/16994-2007-08-forester-xt-who-would-best-dealer-perth-bargain.html)

Philbo 18-12-2007 07:47 PM

dunno yet john most likely same as yours will have to get you to take me for a spin shortly cause i get it this week. Hey does anyone know if a turbo timer linked to your alarm will cause insurance issues or just a stand alone turbo timer

Booga 18-12-2007 07:59 PM

Phil is this a Forester or a Starion/Cordia - forget the TT
read this ..... [url]http://www.spdusa.com/turbo_timer.htm[/url]
Nice purchase!

BXT 18-12-2007 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=Philbo]dunno yet john most likely same as yours will have to get you to take me for a spin shortly cause i get it this week. Hey does anyone know if a turbo timer linked to your alarm will cause insurance issues or just a stand alone turbo timer[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't bother with a TT mate unless you generally fang the crap out of it right up to your parking spot :icon_axe: .....most water cooled turbos don't really need a turbo timer buddy....just back off the boost in the last 20-30 secs of driving and she'll be fine.
I've always had TT's in my last turbo cars but now see there's not much point in it (specially now cause I drive like a nanna most of the time).

What Acc. did you end up getting? and what sort of $$$ all up if you don't mind spilling

Philbo 18-12-2007 08:07 PM

Huh? Booga dont get it? why no tt?

Philbo 18-12-2007 08:08 PM

I got all the mats and towbar for $44k driveaway

Booga 18-12-2007 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=Philbo]Huh? Booga dont get it? why no tt?[/QUOTE]

The use of turbo timers to shut the engine off some preset time after the ignition key is removed was needed in the old days. Early turbocharger bearing housings were only cooled by the lubrication oil of a running engine passing by the turbine bearing. If the engine was shut of when the turbine was still very hot excessive heat wick into the turbo bearing and seal area, cooking the oil to black carbon, causing bearing/shaft failure and heavy oil consumption. The newer (for over 15 years now) style turbo housings are water cooled as well as oil cooled. The original EJ20 Subaru turbo motor took advantage of water cooled bearings from the start and have never had this problem due to a unique design feature we will now explain. It is the reason you do not need to purchase a turbo timer.

The Subaru WRX engines have their water catch tank high on the engine above the turbocharger. It is that little can where you check the water level. When the engine is shut off the water continues to circulate via a physical property of water called a thermal siphon. Simply put, hot water rises up to the catch tank, being drawn from the relatively cool cylinder head water jacket up through the turbo housing. This nifty little idea works every time you turn off your engine.

One still needs to take a cool down lap at the track and perhaps should not stop at the top of a mountain pass to enjoy the view if you have been on the boost all the way up, but for the other 99% of the time there is no need to let the engine idle for a minute before shutting off ignition. Even when the engine is off, the cooling water will circulate past the turbine bearing housing.

Philbo 18-12-2007 08:38 PM

Cool thanks heaps Booga thats another $200 towards suspension are you coming to the Foz doo on the 23rd???

Booga 18-12-2007 08:47 PM

Almost definitely
Still deciding whether to bring the white GT that is held together with 100mph tape or the X Luxury with no poke ....missing a T :(

Philbo 18-12-2007 08:53 PM

Go the X man

ULTREX 20-12-2007 04:20 PM

Well done Philbo! I can;t wait to start modding it for you! ;)