Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru
Default MY08 WRX Owners - First modification suggestions

After seeing so many MY08 WRX over the last few weeks I figured that many of the new owners are likely to start landing here. I though I would launch pre-emptive strike with a short thread on suggested mods for ugly betty owners. I am open for suggestions and editing. This is not meant to be an essay but merely a starting point for noobs!

1. Lowering springs should be first thing done in my honest opinion. A good set will lower your wrx (30-40mm) from a FWD mazda/vw betty to an eye appealing WRX. Search words are whiteline springs, king springs, etc) cost approx from $400 and can be sourced/purchased from a range of local shops in Perth.

This is a must first mod but do it properly and then get a good wheel alignment (search wheel world, wilkenson's, ect). DO IT !!!

2. Turbo-back or Cat-back Exhaust. Better breathing and the boxer rumble unleashed (search words are dylans zorst, china-sepc, or any number of name brand manufactures of s/s exhausts such HKS, Trust, Greddy,ect). Cost $600-$2000 depending on what you buy. Install yourself or go to reputable shop for this. (search words are MMS, RMS and ASG for starters in town). Edit: Please note this is a new model and exhaust configuration for MY08 so be prepared to pay more now as Kato so eloquently put it.

3. Proper tune via a re-flash of ecu. Best bang for buck in terms of power. Search ECUtek (only option in WA unless you are prepared to spend some serious $$. Cost ranges from $1800 I believe currently depending on who you go with for this work. Search words ecutek, MMS.
Edit:As PIGSTI suggested the turbo-back exhaust and tune should be done at the same time to avoid boost spiking issues, optimize tune and keep labour costs down.

4. Front and rear sway bar installation is another great bang for buck mod. Search words such whitleline, cusco, and sti for starters. This will assist in reducing understeer associated with stock wrx's. Allow for $500 plus and install yourself.

Once you have done these mods you will likely be a few thousand $$ poorer but will have a vastly improved WRX. After you have completed these mods you will be hooked on modifiying your suby and may need to a bigger salary and a more understanding wife but those I cant help you with. Good look and happy crusing.

* Please note that I have no affiliation or connection with any work shops or products mentioned in this post.

Last edited by American Dave; 12-05-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Tags
modification, my08, owners, suggestions, wrx