Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX
Default Improving track times

Ok, looking at what to do next to my car. Basically mechanically stock version 6 sti, but with suspension and brake mods including.
KYB agx struts, whiteline control springs, whiteline 22mm front and rear bars, noltec adjustable strut tops, ferodo ds2000 pads and slotted rotors. 215/40R17 bridgestone potenza RE001 tyres.

Now, my only real time was from the wrx vs evo day at collie where i got my best time of 54.7 secconds, so im stuck between deciding if i would be better off getting some propper track tyres, or if suspension/more practice would improve my times more, whyle keeping my car as it is currently. My aim is to get a seccond or two better but i am not sure if this is possible on street tyres.

I have purchased some ds2500 pads, and am trying to find some new dba4000's now.

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...6/2008.COLI.Q2

Results from collie, Im car 4

Just looking for other peoples experience, their times and mods that you may have.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by WhiteRX; 31-07-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 30-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

More track time will give you a better appreciation of where to turn and get your line outs quicker, etc
R comps will give better times but its not one of the cheapest option
Playing around with tyre pressures and hardness of spring settings (i know you haven't got adjustables) can also help with the handling and again how quick you can take off out of corners
Old 30-07-2008, 07:14 PM
STI Master

CDR RA at standard level

^^^^WHS. R comps are an easy way to find the extra 2 seconds but working on the nut behind the wheel and developing the handling of the car is also the other way.

Analysing how the car is behaving (understeer, oversteer) and then maybe working on ways to improve its shortfalls is a good start. Also doign some reaing on track driving theory and trying to apply that will help. Practice, practice, practice also works.
496 CI Injected Big Block. Carbon positive???
Old 30-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

Cool. i like the idea of more practice, and if it is possible to get even better times on street tyres i would be very happy. I kinda figure if r comps are a easy way to get a few secconds then i would become a better driver from not using them and improving my driving skill. The car has fairly good handling characteristics now. I have changed the castor, from +3.5 to about +6 but have lost some camber down from -2.8 to -2. Not sure if this is a good idea but the next day will tell me.
Old 30-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR RA
^^^^WHS. R comps are an easy way to find the extra 2 seconds but working on the nut behind the wheel and developing the handling of the car is also the other way.

Analysing how the car is behaving (understeer, oversteer) and then maybe working on ways to improve its shortfalls is a good start. Also doign some reaing on track driving theory and trying to apply that will help. Practice, practice, practice also works.
... +1
Old 30-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

stinga at standard level

I still can't drive for shit but I reckon instead of spending 2-5K on making your car go faster, spend it in the seat. I've seen plenty of examples of guys that can out drive someone in a faster car because they can drive.....
0.1c worth
Old 30-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

R comps will easily set you back $1500+ for rubber alone (assuming you have dedicated track rims.

Come to the next No Limits night. Bulk runs, plenty of people to give advice and plenty of time to get some laps in (especially during the winter quiet time).
Old 31-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Chris260 at standard level

I do not know a lot about WRX parts but your car sounds like it has some decent aftermarket gear in it already. If you are quite new to the track driving you need a benchmark. Go to the track with the car as-is and set some times. Talk to the other drivers about how they get around the track, Driving Lines, Braking techniques, etc etc. Most other drivers are more than happy to share their experiences and tips with you. Every driver will do something a little different to the next, you need to listen to what everyone has to say and then use that information in your own way. Once you learn the basics of keeping your car smooth and balanced the impressive track times will come.

The simple goal of any upgrade is to increase the performance AT THE TYRES.
Old 31-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

WRX020 at standard level

There is no substitute for miles in the seat.
Take in as much information as you can from more experienced drivers, and once you are happy with your lap times, and can keep consistent within a few tenths then it's time to start adjusting your setup / tyres etc.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

buy my vf22 and power fc and get double the power?

Tags
improving, times, track