Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   What makes a WRX a WRX? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/2232-what-makes-wrx-wrx.html)

EvilCabbage 04-11-2005 12:38 PM

What makes a WRX a WRX?

So yesterday a mate of mine went to test drive a car. It was advertised as a MY00 WRX with STI transplant.

Turns out the car was a GX before the transplant work went ahead.

So, what makes a WRX a WRX? Is it OK to claim this car as a WRX converted to STI spec? Would you purchase a car like this yourselves, now knowing it isn't quite what you thought it was. Does the GX/WRX distinction matter in this case?

Please discuss.

chee 04-11-2005 01:07 PM

Well from what i know, the chasis are of equal strength, except the wrx has bolt on bars which can be transplanted onto a gx. But it should be called a GX > STI spec.

scoobysix 04-11-2005 01:21 PM

Stace aka tuna would be best to comment on this.

methd 04-11-2005 03:19 PM

no matter what u've transplanted across, it's still a GX and should be advertised as one. You can then expand what u've done to it in the ad. But saying it's an Sti because everything "sti" has been transplanted across is just wrong.

aDe 04-11-2005 06:19 PM

whose car your mate test drive ?

jEstEr? 05-11-2005 01:12 AM

take the VIN number into subaru and ask ehm what it comes up as

or as the old say goes 'perfect condition only one small scratch over the vin'

EvilCabbage 05-11-2005 01:32 AM

[QUOTE=aDe]whose car your mate test drive ?[/QUOTE]

He didn't tell me. It was a white MY00 with gold rims I think? Narrows it down a lot eh?

I wasn't specifically asking for technical definitions, we all know that VIN numbers tell a great story on any car, but more getting a personal take as to whether it's really right to call a GX with STI bits a WRX.

**edit: Found the advert, doesn't mention "WRX" in the ad though, perhaps not so misleading afterall.

Advert here:

[IMG]http://www.autotrader.com.au/Photos/T000203411.jpg[/IMG]

[I]SUBARU IMPREZA, Complete Jap spec Sti version 6 (model 2000) conversion, 4.4 diffs, Ltd Ed, Sti interior, coil overs, cat, back full titanium exhaust, new gold 17" rims, Bridgestones, Pioneer CD, alarm, HKS intake etc, quick sale $25,000 ono.[/I]

aDe 05-11-2005 01:36 AM

got it from autotrader advertisement is it?

REXXX 05-11-2005 01:41 AM

EDIT: cabbage beat me to it.

EvilCabbage 05-11-2005 01:45 AM

yeah, just found the ad too. He called me just after driving it, said he was told it was a WRX converted.

Still probably not something I'd 'invest' in, something about it puts me off.

methd 05-11-2005 01:48 AM

cars are not investments anyway

EvilCabbage 05-11-2005 01:50 AM

Thankyou Captain Literal. I wasn't suggesting they ever were.

SIR WRX @ WA 05-11-2005 08:10 AM

What makes a WRX a WRX? The short answer is the VIN. But what does a few digits matter anyway, particularly if cars are not investments.

If the conversion and mods were done right and it looks and performs like a WRX in all accounts, then to me that is a WRX.

The C&V Perfromance '97 Impreza that runs 9.4s is actually a GX. The car still looks like a GX down to standard 15" wheels but with a WRX bonnet. The reputable Speed magazine calls it a "WRX". Heck, I'd buy this GX over any STI any day!

tuna 05-11-2005 09:08 AM

at the end of the day, the only way i'd sell my car would be in bits or to the insurance company, if resale means so much to people, they should be buying houses instead.

and as far as what makes an impreza a wrx, well ask your insurance company.

[I 86 I] 05-11-2005 11:29 AM

[QUOTE]if resale means so much to people, they should be buying houses instead.[/QUOTE]

VERY true!!

At the end of the day, any joe-blogg that sees a wrx looking car with spool sounds and bov will say its a wrx. I know i'd prefer Tunas' GX over many wrx's around.

hybridgx 08-11-2005 01:52 AM

Ive got a GX WRX Conversion , I wouldnt claim to have a WRX, more a Impreza GX 2.0L turbo, Even with all the WRX upgrades.

Game ovRA 08-11-2005 02:53 PM

i gotz a Gx to sti conversion an that includes interior(as much as possible) driveline, including brakes hubs and cradles, engine obviously and front end body kit. i would say i have a modded wrx to anyone that asked.at the end of the day its a number seperating my car from others. :confused: :rolleyes:

hybridgx 10-11-2005 12:52 AM

perhaps it just depends on who ur talking 2 if they no what ur talkin bout :D
buyer wise i mean, but yer, i guess it does come down to the insurance ;)

LegacyGT 10-11-2005 06:59 PM

[QUOTE='[PFFT]']cars are not investments anyway[/QUOTE]

some are...

like on beyond tomorrow last night they sed the mclaren f1 doubled in value.

methd 10-11-2005 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=Game ovRA]i gotz a Gx to sti conversion an that includes interior(as much as possible) driveline, including brakes hubs and cradles, engine obviously and front end body kit. i would say i have a modded wrx to anyone that asked.at the end of the day its a number seperating my car from others. :confused: :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

you'd still be lying :)

LegacyGT 10-11-2005 08:59 PM

[QUOTE='[PFFT]']you'd still be lying :)[/QUOTE]

new thread...

SPOTTED: LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE

Game ovRA 11-11-2005 12:41 AM

Lying or Deception : A successful or unsuccessful deliberate attempt, without forewarning to create in another a belief that the communicator considers to be untrue....not lying at all.if i think the person knows what i would be talkikn boyut im more than happy to go into the intricate details, but if any "normal" person was to ask what i drive i would simply say a wrx, which would actually be understating what i drive so why would i be lying, plus as i said its just a number :)

methd 11-11-2005 01:19 AM

keep trying to talk urself out of it

i still call it a lie :)

LegacyGT 11-11-2005 11:08 AM

so lying is only when u know the truth?

methd 11-11-2005 11:51 AM

that's right. and the truth is it's not a wrx. just because u've bolted all wrx parts over, it still a GX/RX in the end.

some ppl have fitted a 6 speed, brembo calipers, and sti short motor on their wrx, i never hear them saying its an sti when basically thats the difference between the two cars!

hybridgx 11-11-2005 11:55 AM

but what if its got sti badges and stickers all over it :D

methd 11-11-2005 11:58 AM

hehe. don't get me wrong. there's NOTHING wrong with bolting everything over, saves u a lot of money :) but the deception thing is just wrong.

LegacyGT 11-11-2005 01:07 PM

so if u dont know or a blind to the fact u r not lying?

Pettata 11-11-2005 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure if you bought it you would eventually find out that it's fake. There's be something that the STi has that the person who modded it forgot to bring over and you'd be wondering why that part isn't on you STi

REXXX 11-11-2005 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Pettata]I'm pretty sure if you bought it you would eventually find out that it's fake. There's be something that the STi has that the person who modded it forgot to bring over and you'd be wondering why that part isn't on you STi[/QUOTE]or when you go to transfer the car and apply for insurance or finance.
you tell them its an sti, but they check the VIN and call you back to say "it's actually a GX, would you like to go ahead with the finance/insurance?"
*insert heartbreak, disappointment and angry call to the owner :eusa_naug

hybridgx 11-11-2005 01:56 PM

probably safer to say its just an impreza ;)

Wheels 11-11-2005 05:02 PM

Is a guy with a sex change really a girl?

That might or might not bother you but you sure as hell would want them to tell you before you take em home from the bar eh! :eek:

Pettata 11-11-2005 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=Wheels]Is a guy with a sex change really a girl?

That might or might not bother you but you sure as hell would want them to tell you before you take em home from the bar eh! :eek:[/QUOTE]
excellent analogy... i think that should answer everyones question.
I doubt many guys who became girls would even become 'subaru models.' :D