Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level
Default United 98, 40Kl per tank more.

My car has always been pretty good on fuel for what it is & for the first 3yrs I religiously used BP Ultimate 98, anyhow when they put the price up to 13 cpl instead of 10 cpl over unleaded & were always the first to put their price up I got pissed off with them & decided to give United a try, the car seemed no different so I ran it on a mix of both fuels.

I did a trip down south a few weeks ago running only United & filled it after driving 632kl having only used 56.4L, I've been using United exclusively since, always cheaper & I get 4 cents per L discount cos I buy my smokes from IGA

When running on BP the fuel light would always come on between 460 - 470kl with 9L left in the tank (checked & very accurate light) anyhow I've filled it 3 times since the trip south on United & have made no changes to the car or my driving style & now the fuel light comes on at around 500 - 510kl, I put 56.5L in it yesterday for 578kl around town with virtually no freeway driving & I don't exactly drive like a nanna so I'm pretty happy with the fuel & the car seems to run better too.

Car is a Liberty with V3 STI running gear (1320kg) & the only mods are cold air intake & 3" Butler zorst, it's pulled a 13.2sec 105mph with a shitty 2.05 60ft & had boost leaks at the time, since then I've added a GD top mount & silicone under manifold intake so hopefully get a high 12 with the stock computer.

So has anyone else tried running on this stuff and had similar results? apparently it's imported from Singapore.

P.S. I always run it low & it's had no adverse effect in the 50k since the conversion
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 15-10-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 15-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

I have been using United 98 (same as Peak 98 btw) for about 6-8 months (MY06 STI, exhaust, ECUTek etc))...have also used it in competition (MC State Sprint Series) and it has been fine. Have had the tune checked by MMS recently and all is good so I have no hesitation in recommending it especially since it's only 10c about std unleaded instead of BP's 13c.... plus one can get 4c off with IGA discount...win, win....

United 98 is re-badged Mobil Synergy (2000?) 98 octane which has been on sale on the east coast for a number of years...and yes, it comes out of Singapore.

Oh, yeah, I don't really worry about fuel consumption, but if it goes further then bonus.
Old 15-10-2008, 08:51 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

slg at standard level

I have, for some unknown reason, been using BP ultimate religiously since day dot. Seems like I may have to step out from under my rock and give this United/Peak 98 a shot.

Fuel consumption for myself is nothing great, I can maybe get 370 out of a tank and that is just about running it on fumes. I've got an MY05 Club spec 8 with 3"TBE, Decapped inj. VF34, Top mount and a verso. I do have an auto which wouldn't help my fuel drinking habits...and I tend to use the Tiptronic a lot!
Old 15-10-2008, 08:55 AM
STI Master

phatskinz at standard level
Send a message via MSN to phatskinz

i use BP ulitmate but when i try caltex 98, i notice that i do not get as many Ks as i will out of ultimate 98 ...

Just my 2 cents thoughts
Old 15-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

I have both Caltex and BP fuel cards ( until January anyway when lease runs out ). Have noticed no difference either on the road or on the dyno between either EXCEPT the local Caltex Woolworths is considerably cheeper than the local BP.

Once the fuel cards go I will be trying some of the Peak/United but expect to find no noticeable difference.
Old 15-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

If you car has been tuned on BP U98, I'd check with your tuner first before swapping to a different fuel supplier.

That said, the more competition in the 98 RON area the better. Nothing was worse than no 98 fuel on the way back from Albany.
Old 15-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

When I told Steve a MMS he said he'd heard a few good reports about also, certainly worth a try if you want to save a bit & anything to stick it up BP.......Pretty sure Caltex is made at BP too.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 15-10-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 15-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

ive always use caltex 98 during the weeks as it help with my woolis discount card but no longer work there any more
but at cruises and shit use 98 been doing that for ages not, cant really see the difference km or performance wise
haven tried long trips yet so cant much about that.
Old 15-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
If you car has been tuned on BP U98, I'd check with your tuner first before swapping to a different fuel supplier.
As far as my tune ( can't vouch for anyone else's ). Was originally done on BP. Tried to get a little more out of it with Caltex but was so little differance that it was a waste of time.

Was told safe to run whatever as long as it was 98 octane as the tune wasn't pushed that far that the difference between the fuels would kill it.

Have had to put a few tanks of 95 in it on the few trips across the Nullabour ( with octane booster ) and also noticed no difference but was trying to get economy not performance out of it.
Old 15-10-2008, 09:52 AM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

So which servos have United 98 ?
Their web site doesn't list any WA outlets.

Similarly, my local Peak site doesn't serve 98 either (car runs like a dog on the low grade shite).

Tags
40kl, 98, tank, united