Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

You probably seen this already
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OXOzSu3oc
Old 28-05-2009, 08:07 PM
WRXRW

yeah thats 034/300 the car from hong kong.

optionfans must of done an article on it because it appears in various places all over the net. i had them but i lost in a hdd cleanout, photos of it side by side with a 22b. the optionfans photos of that s201 and an s203 are also around the place.

currently finishing collecting data on the s202, ill post shortly
Old 28-05-2009, 09:41 PM
STI Master

Splat_man at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Splat_man

great read! I look forward to reading more information about it

So whos going to be the first person in perth with a S402?
Old 28-05-2009, 09:44 PM
WRXRW

S202 STi Version

Stolen from "Evo Magazine" Dec 02

The facelifted Impreza might already have landed but the old model's last hurrah is an absolute stunner. Called the S202 STi, it's a limited edition 400-off model created for the Japanese market by Subaru Tecnica International (STi), Subaru's motorsport division. After it was announced a few months back, the whole run sold out in just two weeks.

It's rather special, of course. Apparently, Petter Solberg, works Subaru driver and recent winner of Rally GB, reckons that of all the roadgoing Imprezas he's driven, the S202 feels most like his WRC car. If it wasn't yellow, he'd probably have said it looked most like it too, with its ten-spoke gold-painted alloys and roof vent, though he must have been eyeing the adjustable carbonfibre rear wing and wondering why his company car didn't have one.

The starting point of the S202 is the lightweight 'RA Spec C' Impreza, a Japanese model that's packed with all the mechanical bits that matter and stripped of luxuries. The S202 puts a few back in, such as air con and electric windows, but it can afford to because its version of the RA Spec C's flat-four, already uprated with special cams and a roller-bearing turbo, has a revised ECU that takes power even higher, to no less than 316bhp. Hang on, what about the gentleman's agreement between Japanese makers to stick to a 276bhp ceiling? Beats me, but maybe it's no coincidence there's no Subaru badging to be found on the car, only 'S202' and 'STi'.

The S202 isn't simply an RA with a few nice bits and more power: STi's engineers have been right through the mechanicals, upgrading and respecifying components. Unsprung weight has been pared courtesy of those Rays forged alloys, shod with 225/45 ZR17 Pirelli P-Zero Rossos, and there are also 7kg lighter, grooved brake discs. The four-wheel-drive system has a mechanical limited slip diff at the back, a 'Suretrack' diff at the front, and the suspension has been fine-tuned throughout, with 'pillow ball' bushing for the lower arms and trailing links. Look through the spokes of a rear wheel and beyond the gold Brembo brake callipers you'll see the mark of STi on the chassis - pink painted suspension arms. Nice.

In fact, the dark recesses of the S202's exterior are dotted with special STi componentry; tucked to one side in the gaping lower air intake is an STi-branded engine oil cooler, while jutting from the rear is a titanium silencer with a tailpipe the size of a torpedo tube. Hidden from view are braided brake hoses, and under the bonnet the inlet tracts are crafted from red silicon tubing. Oddly, the strut brace has been deleted. Pop the boot open and it looks like thieves have nicked all the trim, leaving behind only the vast water reservoir for the intercooler spray.

Inside, the changes are small - black trim, blue-faced dials, a numbered S202 plaque - but it won't escape your notice that the slim-rimmed Momo wheel doesn't have an airbag.

It takes a very short distance to realise the S202 is out of the ordinary. There's Impreza character in abundance but everything feels sharper, more heightened. The engine warbles heartily, picks up with purpose from low revs and even on small throttle openings feels alert and responsive, while the chassis is firmly controlled but not at the expense of urban suppleness.

The S202 weighs 140kg less than a UK-spec WRX STi and has 60bhp more, rocketing its power-to-weight up, up and away. And boy can you feel it. When you first get the chance to pin the throttle into the carpet, the S202 delivers a neck-straining thump that forces you into your seat from less than 4000rpm right to the limiter. If you're an Impreza fan, the pulsed blare from the tailpipe is to die for.

It gets better. On demanding roads the S202 is unlike any Impreza I've driven, combining the organic feel and predictable progression that has endeared it to so many, with the responsiveness of arch rival, the Evo VII. You have to be on your mettle in damp, greasy conditions because understeer has been virtually eradicated. But as soon as you've got your head around the concept of the nose going exactly where you point it, while telling you exactly what it's doing, you can enjoy the sensation of the chassis setting itself up for a four-wheel-drift exit biased to oversteer.

The test mule car in this case 000/400 was the yellow car that did all the publication rounds from the above to all the Japanese press testing. Usually the factory rebuilds them and gives them a new number, maybe?

Numbers as they appear in order,

065/400

108/400

136/400

364/400

non specific build numbers,

Last edited by WRXRW; 28-05-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 28-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Do want ^

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 28-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

S401 plz!!

'04 E46 S/C M3 Coupe

Last edited by Jimmy S; 28-05-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 29-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

The S202 is certainly more restrained in terms of styling over the S201. I have to admit I know bugger all about the special versions, but I do prefer the S204 personally. The S401 is a stunner as well though. I also love the RB320.

RB320

Last edited by Saint_23; 29-05-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 29-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Ramon

Might be worth talking to Michael South (you can contact him from rexnet) and asking him the details on Sullens Targa Tas winning S202. I am sure that he would have some photos too. Hopefully some from the build.

Brendon
Old 29-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

is there going to be a S205? for the betty?
Old 29-05-2009, 09:08 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Most likely, with 3D glasses so you can appreciate the 'curves'

Interesting pic of the S204 turbo there, check out my pics of the VF42 for comparison.
Also found out an interesting way of 'building' a vf42.

Tags
database, s-series is s-sick, s201, s202, s204 iz the best jimmy!, s401 iz the best!, special, sseries, subaru