Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Verso and bung O2 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/28192-verso-bung-o2.html)

OllieJ 27-07-2009 05:05 PM

Verso and bung O2

If I had a Verso tune completed with a bung Oxygen Sensor and hence was running stupid rich, should I expect the car to lean out once the O2 is replaced or will it contine to run rich due to the Verso tune?

tuna 27-07-2009 05:24 PM

why not just replace the sensor?

OllieJ 27-07-2009 05:31 PM

I have... just need to know if it needs a re-tune to lean out.

Jim621 27-07-2009 06:31 PM

Mate, they use a wideband O2 sensor when they tune the car....so changing the standard O2 sensor shouldnt matter.

jOh4n 01-09-2009 11:01 PM

thread hi-jack:

is a 02 sensor still needed on a ej20 running a aftermarket ecu (ie possumLink ecu)?
reason i ask is because i have apexi turbo timer with a functioning air/fuel ratio meter on it and lately i have noticed the a/f ratio readings are all over the shop on light throttle (ie sometimes is will read up to 20:1, then jump up and down, only on light throttle)

i believe that the turbo timer gets its a/f readings from the o2 sensor, so am i right to think that these erratic readings are due to a faulty o2 sensor?

Rossco 01-09-2009 11:15 PM

lean cruise is fine on light throttle....it hunts around because the o2 is doing it's job.

it will go to 20:1 on over-run as the ecu cuts the fuel as you coast to a stop in gear with the throttle closed.

jOh4n 01-09-2009 11:47 PM

cheers for that Ross. i have never had a look at the readings when i am on WOT, however i am aware that those turbo timers and their a/f readings are not exactly accurate since its not reading off a wide band o2 sensor.

is there a method to check if an o2 sensor is still working fine? i have noticed my fuel economy has become worse of late, and since i have never seen these kinds of erratic readings on the a/f meter before i am still suspecting the o2 sensor may be faulty..

Jim621 02-09-2009 07:55 AM

Hi John,

As you said, the standard O2 sensor (narrowband sensor) can only tell if the AFR is richer or leaner than 14.7:1....it doesnt know how much richer or leaner. so disregard the readings your meter readings you are getting.

If your fuel economy is getting worse, this is usually a sign that your O2 sensor is on its way out. O2 sensors start to read 'lean' when they fail, so will then pump more fuel into the engine - hence the worse economy.

i believe most O2 sensors only last 50,000kms, when was the last time you changed yours?

one more thing to check, is your possumlink in a closed or open loop lamda?
if its open loop, the O2 sensor wont be doing anything. so you might have a problem elsewhere.

cheers, Steve

Rossco 02-09-2009 08:06 AM

99-00 Afm's fail with little provocation!

What air filter is on the car?

Jim621 02-09-2009 01:23 PM

Possumlinks use the MAP sensor....so it shouldnt matter if his MAF is stuffed.