Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-10-2009, 07:53 PM
WRXRW

Default Legends of the Game, Past, Present & Future?

With Wes' selling his car, yet another legend passes on to a new generation.

I thought it might be cool, to look back at the legends that have influenced us all over the years. I have an extensive collection and detailed information on most legendary cars but the best place is often magazine publications and will post up what I have gathered. Please feel free to keep adding to this so we can build a nice database of photo's, comments and experiences of each.

I start with [SCOOBI]

Steven came from the old school of modification. The glory of one workshop focussed by an unlimited budget (limited experience & knowledge) at the time. This article reflects his first attempt with bolt on glory which served him, the workshop and the car very well. When Formaz got sold, Brett Henderson then took the car to PSi and there it went with varying degress of success. A built 2.5 with a monster T60-1 Turbonetics turbo, gorgeous 18" AME wheels (all the rage in those days as OzzyTyres had a store here in Perth) and a complete Michael Macey stereo upgrade. Steven then sold the car and the new owner took the broken pieces and decided to run with a Tony Rigoli EJ22 "2.4lt" stroker. After nothing but repeated disasters, it was pulled down, stripped of a few parts, including the wheels (which now are on tiddy's car) and decided to install a mild built 2.5lt still using the T60-1. From what I hear, the owner is happy with the car and its great to see things still remain, including Macey's handywork.

Old 28-10-2009, 08:02 PM
STI Master

Mike at standard level

Ahhh so this is SCOOBI. I've seen it before (not in the flesh though). Awesome car, which from the sounds of it has taken quite a few forms.
Old 28-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

tiddy at standard level

ahhh i think i have those intercooler pipes, same scoop, same intercooler, guage holder on rhs window pillar, rev/speed meter ....
cheers ramon
Old 28-10-2009, 08:15 PM
WRXRW

[DNT] aka [SIRWRX]

This car still ranks among the best perth has ever produced. At the time, nothing could touch it. To take a brand new car and then turn it into something that almost ten years later is still right up there is not only a testiment to the orginal owner, but also Jonathan for improving and caring for it.

It had a difficult early life, with the built engine suffering an early death only to be rebuilt by a different workshop and that way it stayed until Jon picked it up. He replaced a few things, ditched the AVO400 for a VF series, upgraded the brakes to Brembo, went a 6 speed conversion and ohh yes, lets we forget the nitrous with blue neon purge!

Personally on me it had a massive impact. I first saw this at the 2000 PAS when it used to held at the Freo passenger terminal. I was blown away by the fabrication of its parts. Everytime I saw that fuel surge setup I would go weak at the knees. I couldn't believe that something like this could be possible in street car let alone a wrx. I did spot it from time to time on the street and went googoo gaga over it. We are lucky that Jon continues to bring it out every so often and its always a great pleasure seeing the faces on people who have never seen it before.

Without further ado,

Old 28-10-2009, 08:34 PM
WRXRW

[XRX] aka [XSPEED]

One of the first, if not first heavily modified wrx's in perth. Hanson had a small hand in shaping mod trends and ideas for years in the local wrx world. Shortly after this magazine article, it further developed sporting genuine speedline wrc wheels with an offset reserved only for the real cars. It was only ever seen once, at 2000 Motorvation (back when it was held at Burswood), without the wild wide bodykit and those wheels. I personally loved it. Huge offset wheels on a standard bodyline, just screamed purpose. The bodykit and futher additions turned it into a rolling showcase for his business and it proved utterly successful in that respect. I spoke to Hanson not long ago and he goes on to say, the new owner has let it go into a bad state. Parked up somewhere in suburbia covered in dust and spiderwebs. Its a shame, for a once so influential car.

Old 28-10-2009, 09:00 PM
WRXRW

[....] insert identity here, lovenly dubbed, the romy mobile!

perhaps one of the most controversial cars ever. very little is known for fact, wild rumours and hearsay abound on this car and especially its once former original owner romy. what we do know, is that it took this sport to the next level. a combination of racetorque and a&t resulted in perhaps one of the most complete street wrx's ever built in perth. think back to 1999/2000, then see the car in that context. even know, close to 10 years later, this is top of the pops. we know the car got sold, the owner caught the last plane out of dodge town never to return? and it ended up wattered down as parts got stripped and recycled in half a dozen other wrx's. years later i spotted this at phoenix shopping centre. i made the point of waiting around (read stalking) the new owner. it really was/is a former shadow of its once glorious self. very little remains of it in that state but its great to see the car actually out there in some shape any form.

Old 28-10-2009, 09:10 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

the kiwi at standard level

ramon, why did Subaru stop making the wrx after the year 2000?
Old 28-10-2009, 09:19 PM
WRXRW

[JOOCE]

its impact wasn't great, but remains a tough car, especially after it cannabalised parts from the romy mobile. prior to this, it sported zepter ligare spoke wheels and has the dubious honour of being the first wrx featured in perth street car. i have not seen or heard anything about this car since Jonathan looked at it before buying SIRWRX, where is it now?

Old 28-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Sir AntiLag

cowboydave at standard level

Awesome thread Ramon, I have fond memories of Hanson's WRX when it had the wide guards and the awesome rims, it had a massive infulence on me at the time. I might have some photo's of it in that state somewhere, I'll have a good look around. Look forward to more...
Old 28-10-2009, 09:50 PM
WRXRW

[WRX2555]

one for the old school. this car came from nowhere. no hype, no ego just a raw powerhouse of a machine. sadly it met with tragic results in both driveline and engine. i still remember being there at the drags, watching this thing launch and launch hard, only for second gear to explode out the side of the case melting everything inside of it and lightweight shockproof smurf oil everywhere on the racetrack. the brothers that built the car took turns in fixing, racing and breaking it over and over again but after psi closed down in that aftermath between themselves and street force the story of this car disappers from the public, another one for where are they now?

Tags
future, game, legends, past, present