Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Engine options (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/30204-engine-options.html)

Fozzy 17-11-2009 09:58 AM

Engine options

I got burnt by someone selling me a dead long motor after killing my own motor.. So as a result I am left with a pair of dead 207's

Bit of background on the car and what it will be used for. Its a 99 sti. Mainly to be used for trackdays, hillclimbs and sprints etc.

Supporting mods.
Syms Racing Headers
3" Turbo Back
ARC Induction Box and Silicone intake.
Vf28
Using version 8 heads with non avcs cams.
ARP Head Stud Kit
Motec to run the show.
Also has lightweight flywheel and Cosworth windage tray.

Option 1
EJ207 Short block

Option 2
Machine Old block
Crank Grind
New Set of Shells
Set of Cosworth Rings and Pistons and retain standard rods.

Option 3
Machine old block
Decent set of rods
Set of Stroker pistons
2.5 L Phase 2 crank

Option 4
257 short block

I dont have a huge budget for this build as I have already bought an engine for it and been fucked over by the seller so as much as I would love to go full crazy on it.. I just cant afford to.

So what would you do and why would you do it.

BALISTC 17-11-2009 10:03 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Option 2, but it can work if its done properly... it also scratches out the option of using Cosworth bearings, as they don't do oversizes. You will only be able to use ACL Race Series bearings, or stock ones. Stock ones are ridiculously priced, so ACL Race Series is the go.

Will you build it yourself or get someone to do it?

I also recommend having the crank re-nitrided if you have it machined, as machining removes the factory nitride finish.

If you're going to go Option 2, might as well do 3.

waxdass 17-11-2009 10:10 AM

Go option 1 - less fking around, you know its gonna work and not fk up due to possibly incorrect build etc

207 short block with some mild cams = done.

sleepy 17-11-2009 10:11 AM

I'd go option 1, keep it simple, proven results.

Fozzy 17-11-2009 10:13 AM

Joe they do oversized pistons though.. so they would come with rings to suit.. If I go the built option ASG will be building the short block and I will be doing the rest.

Why would you go a 207 over a 257 Tino.

BALISTC 17-11-2009 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=Fozzy;409329]Joe they do oversized pistons though.. so they would come with rings to suit.. If I go the built option ASG will be building the short block and I will be doing the rest.

Why would you go a 207 over a 257 Tino.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they do oversize pistons, but not oversize bearings (for when you machine the crank).

207 is inherently stronger, can take more boost without splitting a bore, or having bore shift, or anything like that which can affect the 257.

BUT, the 257 is torquey and can still cop a bit of boost (up to around 20 psi) before they start getting less reliable.

OF course, this is from what I've seen and read, not from MY experience, so I'd like to hear an opinion from someone who has actually done 207 vs 257 :)

waxdass 17-11-2009 10:25 AM

I had the choice - 207 can take the boost i wanna run, stock 257 cant.
In the end Auto Evolution boys convinced me to go the 207 route

In my case, 207 + twin scroll = perfection.

oh... and the less the engine is from factory...the more problems you will have! Keep it nice n simple.

Fozzy 17-11-2009 10:26 AM

Sorry Joe I read your post wrong. Thought you were talking about rings for some reason.

RUSSGT 17-11-2009 10:38 AM

Option 1! Followed closely by beatin the crap out of the guy who ripped ya!

pcracing 17-11-2009 05:25 PM

option 1 dude, lesswork for you and much simpler