Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Brake upgrade advice needed (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/32661-brake-upgrade-advice-needed.html)

flare_windmill 05-03-2010 09:04 PM

Brake upgrade advice needed

Hi guys,

Currently considering a few brake upgrade options to a MY03.

1.) DBA 5000 rotors for the front and braided brake lines.
2.) DBA 5000 rotors front, DBA 4000 rotors rear and braided brake lines.
3.) DBA4000 rotors front and rear and braided brake lines.

Which ones would give me best bang for buck performance?

Also, any recommendations on pads (low dust) with good bite to go with those rotors? :)

Rossco 05-03-2010 09:41 PM

Best bang for buck are either RDA slotted or Protex x-drilled & slotted discs.

Rda are through either Brakes West or Marfleet
Protex through ABS Osborne park

Pad wise anything thats not bendix.

_daz_ 06-03-2010 12:35 AM

At the last Barbagello track night i was running DBA 4000 front slotted rotors with Project Mu HC+ pads, no brake fade noticed whatsoever throughout the duration of the night. From the enquiries i made through various sources the general verdict was Bendix Ultimate pads were considered to be far too hard and ate away at rotors quite savagely. The rears were just standard WRX items, nothing special, but the rears are barely used (depending on what sort of events you plan on participating in), this is a WRX running standard everything except for suspension mods.

The feedback given to me regarding the Project Mu pads was from people that ran the next grade up from those i purchased. The report was that they ran those pads on their rally car with no noticeable fade by the driver right up until they were removing them from the car crumbling in their hands ie the point of destruction. My experience with my rotors and those pads (the pads i installed about two days before the event for bedding in) was an increase in brake dust compared to street use (to be expected) but excellent performance otherwise. I have swapped the pads back to my normal basic street pads for everyday use and save the P-Mu's for track days, which is a 15min job requiring a jack, wheel brace and some anti-seize.

my 2c worth,

_daz_

Jezza 06-03-2010 12:51 AM

I'm in the same boat Daz, and would be interested in what people reckon.
From my own research, I'd found that many people have had success with the combo
DBA 4000 slotted + Bendix Ultimates or
DBA 4000 slotted + Ferodo DS2500
(for street/daily use)

Also I think that DBA 5000 are only really worth the extra money over the 4000's for bling factor... If you're going to spend that kinda money on rotors, you may as well save a little more and get some new Brembo's with standard rotors instead.

mARC 06-03-2010 12:59 AM

[QUOTE=Rossco;436659]Pad wise anything thats not bendix.[/QUOTE]

Please explain? I've been using bendix ultimate or performax for a long time and find them to be a great pad.

Rossco 06-03-2010 01:08 AM

You'll get two pairs of RDA slotted's for the cost of one set of dba 4000's...Performace is same/same.

Protex cross drilled & slotted are about $180 per disc.

EBC green's (*real ones sourced locally*, not off ebay!) for mixed road /track with negligible dust & no noise.

I'm still running the same EBC greens & Protex drilled & slotted discs that I used at Collie in August last year.
I had the brakes hot enough to burn the paint off the Protex rotor hats & had a good pedal all day.

Some others with ultimates had no pads left by the end of the day.

Everyone has their own opinion on brakes, just like everything else. The above is what has worked for me.

I also run EBC greens in my R32 GTR with factory cross drilled discs....great combo (same caliper as Subaru 4 pots).

jEstEr? 06-03-2010 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=mARC;436695]Please explain? I've been using bendix ultimate or performax for a long time and find them to be a great pad.[/QUOTE]

yeah i'm suprised they've lasted all the trackdays you do

Rossco 06-03-2010 01:24 AM

[QUOTE=mARC;436695]Please explain? I've been using bendix ultimate or performax for a long time and find them to be a great pad.[/QUOTE]

Ebc green Stuff 2000 series are a street / trackday pad suitable for a constant 600 deg C.

Ultimates are a street pad and suitable upto 550 deg. C.

Crapdix Performax are only rated to 420 degrees C. & would fade on a hills run..." Bendix Mintex recommends Performax pads in vehicle applications of frequent stopping, peak hour driving, heavy loads, towing, and steep gradients."

Yeah, my discs are glowing red hot after the 30kph peak hour freeway crawl....lol

_daz_ 06-03-2010 01:32 AM

i discovered the Project Mu pads i got were 0~800℃, yet still basically only seemed to require the same warming period (on the street) as my normal street pads. see [url]http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/pad_hcplus.php[/url]

my theory was that if i managed to get my standard (except for rotors) WRX brakes this hot i was either doing something really right or really REALLY wrong (=

flare_windmill 06-03-2010 05:41 PM

[You'll get two pairs of RDA slotted's for the cost of one set of dba 4000's...Performace is same/same]

Rossco, how much do RDA slotted rotors go for? I'm thinking of matching them with EBC redstuff?