Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Should Power restrictions be imposed on WA "P-Platers"?
Absolutly, if it will save lives! 100 56.18%
No, the systems works fine as it is 10 5.62%
I think there are better ways to save our P-Platers 68 38.20%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

silvascoob at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Not like this
rossco the youtube thread is here : http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthre...hlight=youtube

can we really not have a discussion without resorting to useless rubbish?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtenstein View Post
Off topic, how do you use a machine gun safely? It's designed to kill people...
I see your point
Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

elemist at standard level
Send a message via MSN to elemist

OK i wasn't going to comment here either, as these threads pretty much always go way off track and end up in massive arguments amongst everyone.

On the face of it, this idea is a good idea. In high performance cars it is ALOT easier to do something stupid. With just a light tap with your right foot and you can be doing way over 100kph. In a 4 cylinder bomb, put your right foot flat to the floor and in 4 hours you might be close

But look a little bit deeper into it and you will start seeing a some serious flaws.

1) Drink driving and driving tired are both big killers. Tell me how having an accident in a 15 year old 4 cylinder bomb without airbags, without modern safety features is safer than having an accident in a newer wrx or commodore with airbags and crumple zones etc.

2) Common driving courtesy has nothing to do with the type of car you have. You can still sit 10kph under the speed limit in the right hand lane whether your in a 4 cylinder bomb. You can still change lanes with out indicating, you can still cut people off and drive like a idiot swerving in and out of traffic...

3) There's some big issues with the principle of this, where its based on a power to weight ratio. Meaning you can drive some old skewl commodore V8 (without airbags, ABS, or any other safety features) because it weighs so much. But then a V6 aurion is off limits, despite having so many safety features it's not funny!

4) The statistics are 1 in 12... someone correct me here, but should they not be focusing on saving the majority of the population?? What about the other 11 in 12 people? Shouldn't we be doing something to stop them from being killed!

I think they need to give some serious thought to what the problems are. Why are people getting killed? Look at the everything surrounding these deaths and i'm sure you'll find ways of reducing the risks.

Let me give an example. Drink driving! Kills a number of people each year, now whilst i make a point of never drinking and driving, i know of a number of people who often make the choice to drive after having a few drinks.
The main reason being the difficulty and cost of getting a taxi home! By simply fixing the problems with taxi system and making it easier and cheaper to get home at the end of a night i know most of them will take a cab.

There's a lot of other things that contribute to these deaths than just the vehicle. Look at the road designs. Poor road surfaces, blind corners, merging lanes, these things all effect the way we drive.

Anyways.. enough of my rambling
Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

^^ Great post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I look at the stupid things I did when I was young. I bought a brand new MY00 WRX when I was 18 after destroying my na lancer. I never crashed my WRX but totally taught the lancer a lesson.

It is a very difficult subject because as wayne said give some young bloke some lessons and they think they are bullet proof. Look at your mates that have been to AHG to drive the V8 supercars and think that a) the cars are fast and b) they can drive.

There are other problems with which cars can be used. I.e. if you look at Victoria you cant have a daihatsu copen (all 3 cyl turbocharged fury) but you are allowed to have an NA lotus exige. Now which one is going to go faster.

Also the same problems are going to exist as bikes. i.e. people driving out of license. I doubt there are figures out there but how many people that kill themselves are out in dads car anyways?

my 2c

Brendon
Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

elemist at standard level
Send a message via MSN to elemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
I look at the stupid things I did when I was young. I bought a brand new MY00 WRX when I was 18 after destroying my na lancer. I never crashed my WRX but totally taught the lancer a lesson.
This is another point which i didn't make in my previous post.

When i first learn't to drive, and for 12 months after i first got my license i drove an 88 Astra, old and run down. I didn't give a shit what happened to it as it was already full of dents with paint scraped from the previous owners.

Whilst still on my P plates i bought a wrx, cost me a fair amount of cash. Because of that i was extremely careful when i drove it and rarely ever did i do anything stupid in it.

My point is, crappy cars are essentially worthless. If you blow up the engine or break the gearbox who cares. Scrap it and buy another $1000 car.

Spend 20-40k on a performance car and your lively to take care of the thing and not thrash it to within an inch of its life!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Every WRX has been thrashed....Don't kid yourself.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Sir AntiLag

Autopilot at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
I know of at least one young guy that would be alive today if they had power restrictions...... Rich daddy buys junior a brand spanking new RX7 for his 17th birthday, he gets his license that day, goes into Northbridge and on the way home going up Fitzgerald St decides to have a drag/race with a GT Falcon, ends up going straight through the Shell at Walcott St>>>DEAD
Alex Tutungis, His father (Tim) had a total break down after that, He went on TT proclaiming to be a alien. Can't tell you how many times I've been told off by Tim for belting around in one of the many toys he's got up at his property.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

If you drive a car with a top speed of 120kph, you will never have a 200kph crash.
If your car takes 18 seconds for the 1/4, you will never hit lethal speeds on suburban roads.

Smaller, lighter, low powered cars are why I (and most of my friends) survived our teenaged years with limited driver training. If you have a high powered car, you will be tempted to try it out one night egged on by your mates.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 PM
STI Master

riceman1991 at standard level

I think its all about attitude i used to have a 1.5L mirage when i got my P's was an absolute dickhead in it, I lost my licence for 6 months after getting flashed doing 50kms over the speed limit. After that i realized how stupid some of the things i done were. Since getting my licence back i now have a WRX and i am a much much safer driver, i pretty much get to the speed limit and then set cruise control. Hopefully i will be able to get to some track days or the drags in future, to have a bit of fun in a much safer environment. If i had got my WRX for my first car as soon as i got my P plates i would be surprised if i was still alive today. So i totally agree it's all about the drivers attitude.

Tags
laws, p plate, perth, plate, power, restrictions