Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Should Power restrictions be imposed on WA "P-Platers"?
Absolutly, if it will save lives! 100 56.18%
No, the systems works fine as it is 10 5.62%
I think there are better ways to save our P-Platers 68 38.20%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Scoobie Noobie

tcs242 at standard level
Thumbs down "P" Plate power restrictions??

Picked up a copy of the west today, front page was all about some changes they are wanting to bring in to P plater laws.
Government is wanting to bring in Power to weight ratios, similar to over east . This will not solve our problems!! When will they wake up and realise!??
Its about attitude and training - More complete training from day 1, and changing the attitude of our young drivers.

My suggestion is this. If a "P Plater" wants to own and drive a "high power vehicle", they should be made take a course/sit a test, IN ADDITION to the P plate practical test.
I know that if I had recieved more comprehensive training, BEFORE and AFTER gaining my P's, i would be a much better driver now.
I now own a WRX (best move of my life ), I am a 18 yo male, prime age risk person on the roads to cause/be in an accident. I feel safer in a WRX than any other car on the road.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughs on the topic? Lets put our thinking caps on and come up with a suggestion that maybe might just save lives.!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Welcome aboard and dont get overconfident in your safety just because your driving a wrx would be my suggestions.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
STI Master

Mike at standard level

I completely agree with you mate. I'm on my P's too and the key is driver training. I have mates with high-powered SS commodores and mates with excels and it doesn't mean shit. It's all about their attitude.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

alexm at standard level

if your goin over 100 in any car be it high powered or not your highly likely to die in a crash and an excel can get over 100 albiet a bit slower but it can still get there. its just stupid in my opinion driver attitude and training.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
STI Master

forde at standard level

I'm an 18 yr old p-plater as well. I agree with the above its the training that needs to be improved, not what car you drive. because at the end of the day its the driver that makes the car do what it does.

Last edited by forde; 11-03-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

smerm07 at standard level

I don't agree with it either. I had my wrx when I was on P's last year. Any car can do a 100km/h and cause an accident. How would they go about monitoring/enforcing this law If it were to be put in place?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Luigi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Luigi

Its not Speed that Kills. Its the suddenly stopping part that does.

Richmond Hammond would agree.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Sorry gents, but it's a whole lot easier to have a big 'off' in a high power to weight vehicle than in something that doesn't have the power to do 0-180 in <15 seconds.

Our cars can & will take you to the scene of an accident very quickly & If you get it wrong, you'll get it very wrong. (ask those that have had a single car 'off')

Last time I checked.....you can't train for maturity behind the wheel, nor common courtesy.

I was lucky not to have hurt myself or others when I was going through my '10 feet tall & bullet proof' years....But my first car was a 1300cc Fiat 128 of fury that did a whopping 140 flat stick.

Even now looking at the shit that goes on on 'country drives', people tail gating at speed, overtaking on hill crests, overtaking on double whites etc. shows that there needs to be more education/less bravado/ a larger dose of common sense on our roads.

+10 for mandatory wet & dry skidpan training for all new drivers & N/a 4cyl for first 12 month of P's.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Simple solution...

1 year after you get your normal license you go for your full license.

Just like motorcycles. Easy.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

I know of at least one young guy that would be alive today if they had power restrictions...... Rich daddy buys junior a brand spanking new RX7 for his 17th birthday, he gets his license that day, goes into Northbridge and on the way home going up Fitzgerald St decides to have a drag/race with a GT Falcon, ends up going straight through the Shell at Walcott St>>>DEAD & I'm sure there are many more cases like it. I thoroughly agree with the idea. Having a high powered car you will give anyone a go at that age but sitting in your 1.6L Hyundai you'll probably think twice before being made a fool of.
I can get to 100kph in about 5 seconds in mine or about 200m, it's not going to happen in a shit box 1.6 is it?
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Tags
laws, p plate, perth, plate, power, restrictions