Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   my03 sti roof damage, help needed (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/37843-my03-sti-roof-damage-help-needed.html)

EvA_ 18-10-2010 11:45 PM

my03 sti roof damage, help needed

As title,

Basically got pretty bad roof damage to a my03 sti (roof caved in), so looking at the best / any possible solution to get it fixed or transplanted over.

What options do i have? Can anybody give me any advice or point me in the right direction. I've been quoted ~$6-8k to repair at one workshop, and another told me to sell it? Should I fix it, or would it be better to find a shell/donor or finding the required parts myself.

I was thinking about buying a damaged car/shell and using that as a donor car, or finding a rolling shell and transplant sti gear over?

ANY help would be appreciated please....

**** needing : roof skin, roof braces, sti bonnet, sti bumper ****

thanks

mARC 18-10-2010 11:56 PM

Pictures needed as well as more information:

For example did the roof cave due to being involved in an accident 'as in hit from side/front or back)? If so yes the car is pretty much stuffed as the whole body would be out of whack, or has something heavy fallen on top of it 'doesn't even need to be heavy these days :/'.

Second hand roof skin would be pointless to source, pricing would not be for repair but for replacement? (note to replace a roof a good repairer would remove the entire interior 'so they don't leave splatter marks though out it, this is why you see burn spec's throughout the interior of some vehicles', front and rear windows as well 'note there's no warranty given that the windows will come out undamaged 'hence new ones are always quoted for', so you can see how the costs build up pretty quickly.

Roofs are a tricky part to deal with mate so you can see why people may say you're better off getting rid of it (as they are looking at the current costs plus what may occur down the track if the job isn't done properly).

Pic's of damaged area(s), and back story required, well not so much backstory but pictures of all damage effected areas.

EvA_ 19-10-2010 12:29 AM

Dont have camera at the moment but will get soon. But basically damage is only to the roof, the front bumper is only slightly scratched and probably pushed in and the bonnet has a tiny 4cm triangle indent at the front. The roof is the only thing I'm concerned about, as its caved in quite abit due to something "reasonably heavy" falling on it.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards sourcing a bonnet and bumper myself, and buying the roof parts from subaru.. Or is there another better route?

will get pics up soon

Rossco 19-10-2010 12:43 AM

Are the front & rear windscreens intact?

SKYHIONPSI 19-10-2010 10:06 AM

What did your insurance company say? Surely you would have gone to them first before asking a public forum?

Strubaru 19-10-2010 10:47 AM

disgruntled ex girfriend jumped on it? as long as the roof rails arn't damaged & its just the skin you should be okay to replace it

EvA_ 19-10-2010 02:27 PM

lol at ex gf comment.. front and rear windscreen smashed. and negatory to insurace *face palm* .. will try organise pics soon

mARC 19-10-2010 02:39 PM

Can I ask what fell on it, sounds like a miniature shipping container?

EXPLICIT 19-10-2010 03:36 PM

Sounds like someone went bouncy castle spec on your car.

There's a carbon roof skin in the country for ~2k currently as an option. Need pics to work out how fucked it is.

type25 19-10-2010 07:53 PM

I have a spare roof and know a VERY good panel beater.