Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   pignose wrx mods budget (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/38490-pignose-wrx-mods-budget.html)

azkgtr 15-11-2010 11:21 AM

pignose wrx mods budget

Hi guys i currently have a pignose wrx and was thinking about doing some further mods but need an idea of pricing. Im not much of a car enthusiast but would like to give the car a little more grunt. Any ideas n pricing would help. My budget would be $5000 all up inc labour if possible. Below is what the car currently has already.

HKS BOV
Custom Air intake
Apexi air filter
3" custom cat back exhaust.

American Dave 15-11-2010 11:24 AM

spend $1000 and get the pignose tuned if you have not already.

MKVIGTI 15-11-2010 11:25 AM

Loose the BOV put in a decent fuel pump & Custom tune it. ECUTek or Verso ( No the argument doesn't need to start again just pick one )

If your really keen look at a slightly larger turbo. If you do when you tune it you'll save a couple of hundred down the track.

Kato 15-11-2010 11:26 AM

1. Search, all been covered numerous times.
2. Find your favourite workshop (ASG/RT/MMS/RMS etc)
3. Ask them their recommendations given your driving style (i.e. no point building a high hp dyno queen, which is useless to drive on the street)
4. Most will recommend a VF34, injectors, fuel pump and install. Will provide a smile on your face.
5. Look at suspesion and brake upgrades (sway bars, decent wheel alignment, springs, pads, rotors etc). No point going fast if you can't corner or stop.
6. Go do some driver training track days. Best mod you can ever do for your car.

V3 RA 15-11-2010 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=Kato;512075]1. Search, all been covered numerous times.
2. Find your favourite workshop (ASG/RT/MMS/RMS etc)
3. Ask them their recommendations given your driving style (i.e. no point building a high hp dyno queen, which is useless to drive on the street)
4. Most will recommend a VF34, injectors, fuel pump and install. Will provide a smile on your face.
5. Look at suspesion and brake upgrades (sway bars, decent wheel alignment, springs, pads, rotors etc). No point going fast if you can't corner or stop.
6. Go do some driver training track days. Best mod you can ever do for your car.[/QUOTE]

this.../thread

azkgtr 15-11-2010 11:33 AM

i already have front and rear sway bars and dba rotors as well. I was thinking about a boost controller, flash, and TBE for the hp end and then upgrade my suspension and bigger brake pads.

BOMB3R 15-11-2010 11:37 AM

Set yourself up for a bigger huffer. Headers, Decaps, Fuel Pump and Tune. That'll make a dent in the 5k. What's left put towards a bigger Turbo, TD05 20g is plenty.

azkgtr 15-11-2010 11:40 AM

ok i understood fuel pump,tune & bigger turbo..not sure about the rest..lol..boost controller?

azkgtr 15-11-2010 11:41 AM

ohh i also have got a bigger top mount IC process west one as well..

jungleboy 15-11-2010 11:48 AM

Don't need the boost controller, the retune will cover boost control. Probably look at upgrading the stock boost control solenoid(i.e. MAC 3 port solenoid), which most tuning shops can provide.

azkgtr 15-11-2010 12:04 PM

ok kool..so maybe TBE exhaust and tune then bigger brake pads & callipers? any ideas on price on the brake kit?

BOMB3R 15-11-2010 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=azkgtr;512097]ok kool..so maybe TBE exhaust and tune then bigger brake pads & callipers? any ideas on price on the brake kit?[/QUOTE]
haha a decent brake kit will cost you a bit more than 5k. You may be able to pick something up cheaper second hand.

V3 RA 15-11-2010 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=PIGSTi;512105]haha a decent brake kit will cost you a bit more than 5k. You may be able to pick something up cheaper second hand.[/QUOTE]

+1

best bet will be second hand brembos

Jimmy S 15-11-2010 12:56 PM

2nd hand but good condition Brembo brake kit from STi will cost you around $3k complete usually, give or take a bit for fitting and if you can get a good deal or sell your current setup..

I'd be getting a turbo-cat exhaust and a tune first up as that will give you a decent improvement in performance... then look at the Brembo brake setup(may need to replace your wheels as well with this as the stocker's won't fit over the top of the Brembo's...

Kato 15-11-2010 01:00 PM

Guys seriously lay off the crack.

There is no need to do a mega spend upgrade to brembos here.

A tune alone would make the car feel a lot better. A turbo upgrade and tune would make the car feel like a rocket. Upgrade the stock pads to something better like some Feroddo 2500's would stop the car well.

Your best bet is to find out which workshop you want doing your work. Then get their opinion on how to proceed. Us internet heroes get carried away with 8 pot brembo upgrades, quadruple plate clutches on daily drivers.

BOMB3R 15-11-2010 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;512112]Guys seriously lay off the crack.

There is no need to do a mega spend upgrade to brembos here.

A tune alone would make the car feel a lot better. A turbo upgrade and tune would make the car feel like a rocket. Upgrade the stock pads to something better like some Feroddo 2500's would stop the car well.

Your best bet is to find out which workshop you want doing your work. Then get their opinion on how to proceed. Us internet heroes get carried away with 8 pot brembo upgrades, quadruple plate clutches on daily drivers.[/QUOTE]

LOL Calm down you Vettel nob licker :) Nobody recommended an upgrade he went there all by himself taking your advice the wrong way I assume! And totally agree there is no need for Brembo's, without a fair bit more hp first.

Jimmy S 15-11-2010 01:12 PM

I've gotta say that IMO just about any WRX would benefit from a brake upgrade... especially a fat GD! ;)

Kato 15-11-2010 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=PIGSTi;512116]LOL Calm down you Vettel nob licker :) [/QUOTE]

Ahahahaha I didn't write that.... You can guess which homo did though :D

American Dave 15-11-2010 01:57 PM

brembo overkill FTW :D

seriously though just get it tuned properly and you will be smiling

blackwrxwagon 15-11-2010 05:11 PM

slotted rotors and decent pads all round, contact GSL rally sport on here

3in TBE

Verson or ecutek tune

Another set of rims with r-comp tyres

and go to as many track days as you can, practise will make you alot faster than any mods

monkeee 15-11-2010 06:09 PM

Okay so your budget is $5k.

You would want (as a good all-round platform):

-Revert back to stock BOV (better for you in the long run).
-Downpipe
-*edit* Fuel Pump
-Tune (Ecutek/Verso....use the search button for more info)
-Slotted rotors
-Better pads
-Beter brake fluid
-Stiffer springs
-Bigger swaybar/s

Then you'd have more grunt as you want (specifically, a lot more torque). As Kato said, no point upping the power and then relying on stock brakes + suspension to keep you away from trees/poles/old people:D.

If you aren't giggling like a school girl from those mods, save up some more $$$ get a VF34/P20 or a TD05/20G, set of injectors if required and a retune. Giggidy :cool:

My 2c.

Happy Modding.

Dr_Rock 15-11-2010 06:29 PM

I am just a dad with a couple of kids who loves cars, but not like the mad love often displayed here. I drive my car/cars daily and do high mileage.
I went DBA 4000 slotted rotors, Bendix ultimate pads.
It stops as well as my new betty STi in daily driving situations, possibly better due to less pedal pressure required. In fact, as a daily the WRX stops better.
Do not thread crap (I know less fade yada yada) I am just saying about daily driving.
I went ecutek, with cold air intake, walbro fuel pump and 3"TBE.
It was a new car, seriously worth every cent of the roughly 5K all the basic mods cost.
It will put your car in stock STi territory for power/torque. Roughly. It will be noisy to drive though.
my 2 cents worth.