Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Which Subaru?
MY10/11 WRX 49 33.33%
MY02 STI 9 6.12%
MY05 STI 89 60.54%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcha View Post
out of your 3 choices 05 STI but for the same price you can get a 06 that is better in every way more power.
Care to elaborate?

My thinking was along the same lines as ALEX...
But I swayed towards the 05 in the end.
Aside from the classics, in my mind they're the best looking sti. (Plus you get the best engine+driveline+brakes combo)
Old 16-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

nixwrc at standard level
Send a message via MSN to nixwrc

Def MY05 sti or the 2010/11 sti
Old 16-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I do not understand this question to be honest.

If you have $40k for a MY10/11 WRX, why would you bother looking at a $20k 02 STi? I'd be looking at new WRX or 2nd hand 06/07 STi for that money.

I would personally re-asses the original question for getting the car. If it is to drive a family around, a stiff, noisy, modded, weekend warrior is not the car you want.

You're probably better off getting a Forester for a new family.
Old 16-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Sign me up!
From one V8 to another!

jasonmurray at standard level

Im in the exact same boat Kym.

Mrs has given me the green light for another wrx but I have to wait til we move into our new house in May.

I was toying with the idea of 05 STi or MY11 wrx. Im still undecided but I am leaning towards the 05 STi...

TEAM オレンジ

Dyno queen
Old 16-02-2011, 08:38 AM
STI Master

Damo69 at standard level

i didnt like the new wrx's till i saw a 10/11 STI at brentwood shops

p*rn !

60.7 Long Track at Barbs
57.6 at RAC Reverse circuit.
Old 16-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Like I've said, the car would be used for the odd track day here and there (the 6 or so a year I run) then the odd cruise, but not planning on making it a full on weekend warrior. It will just be driven on weekends as it's financialy more efficient for me to drive the Hilux to work everyday. And seeing as though Jen and I go to work every day together, her car sits in the garage all week until the weekend when we go out somewhere for dinner or I am sick of driving the Hilux, or she needs to go out, at the same time as I am out.

So basically, the current second vehicle we have, the VE has been with us for the best part of 8 months, and has done a little over 5000kms.

I love the 05 STI's but I just think they are somewhat over priced at the moment. I haven't put an option for the MY06/07 STI in there because I haven't really thought about them.

The idea is, get a car that I can enjoy driving, track lightly, mod lightly and also be comfortable to take it out on a nice night... Both the MY11 WRX and an MY05 STI would fit this category...

Boxerbeast, What car is it? I'd consider it, however, black is my second choice in colour (ED 82 WA's STI would be an option too) Would much prefer a white car.

The reason there is an 02 STI there John, Steve (aka Darkmoose) has his white MY02 STI, stock as, low kms, and he's always said, when I'm ready to buy another one, to go talk to him and we'd work something out... So that is why that option exists... Spend $22k on the car leaves me with more $$ to do the other things, wheels, tune, coilies, etc...
Old 16-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

Here's my opinion Kym

MY10 WRX - Nice neat looking car and easy to drive for the Mrs and plenty of fun after a few mods but lacks the STi perks and will never have the starting potential of the STi.

MY05 STi - Brembo's, DCCD, 6 Speed, bigger turbo, suspension etc etc to get the WRX near that starting package you're looking at a lot of coin. They will both serve exactly the same as a family car but this maybe a little harder for the Mrs to drive after a few mods.

MY02 - Why buy an older car if you have the option of an 05? Although see below.

My opinion is that a WRX or STi is NOT a family car and you shouldn't kid yourself it'll be ok. Put a baby seat in the back and you will struggle for room, getting the baby in and out will be an absolute chore. Let alone all the shit you have to carry with you when you have a baby. I would not ever buy anything smaller than the XR6 we have now as having that extra room is a must imo. I know alot of people will say that they use their WRX as a family car and this is only my opinion as I couldn't live with anything smaller than what we have now.

I voted 05 STi but that's not based on family because I think it's a wrong choice if you're going to use it as a family car.

If I was thinking family I would buy an 02 STi or GC8 (V5 OR V6 which is what I want eventually as my track car) then buy yourselves something with the leftover money as a family car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 16-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I know what your thinking is Kym, been there done that too often!

My advice is get the newest car you can that suits your requirements. Better looks, better technology, better features. If 'tracking' it is just skid pan at AHG/RAC, you don't need brembo's, 6 speeds etc.

If you can afford $40k, get a new WRX or 06/07 STi imo (exhaust, tune, done, enjoy).
Old 16-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

05 sti gets my vote, tried, true & proven 2 litre of fury

if your were going to leave it stock as a rock and just use if for commuting i would have voted for a new one, but we all know you aint gonna leave it stock & it will be hitting the track, for this reason i'd never select the 2.5 of fael
Old 16-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Subaru Tech Division

tiddy at standard level

Mmm look at the 02 love haha

Tags
options, purchase, subaru