Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   BRANT Question (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/41494-brant-question.html)

Hammo 12-04-2011 09:47 AM

BRANT Question

Hi All,

I am about to embark on an AV head unit install and will likely disconnect the battery when doing this as it needs to be hard wired in. (Cant find wiring harness for the kenwood AV style units)

Being a noob I am not entirely sure how the BRANT system works and how it is wired in but I do know it is an expensive exercise if it malfunctions.

So my question - if I disconnect the battery, will this reset or scramble the BRANT system in anyway that may cause me to not be able to start my car when i reconnect the battery?

Cheers
Matt

MY00GC8 12-04-2011 09:48 AM

Ring up and get a master code before doing it just incase

Hammo 12-04-2011 09:52 AM

Thanks Mate. Do I ring brant corp for this?

nauli 12-04-2011 10:01 AM

You will not need the master code to reset it (if required)...the reset procedure has been covered many times on this forum...just do a search.

Kato 12-04-2011 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=Hammo;555061]Thanks Mate. Do I ring brant corp for this?[/QUOTE]

Contact Subaru.

Or go buy a patch harness from Supercheap, unplug stock deck, plug in new deck and harness. Voilla, no need to chop up your wiring or disconnect the battery.

Hammo 12-04-2011 10:41 AM

Thanks Nauli I will do a search.

[QUOTE]Or go buy a patch harness from Supercheap, unplug stock deck, plug in new deck and harness. Voilla, no need to chop up your wiring or disconnect the battery.[/QUOTE]

thanks Kato - I looked into this as it is the way I usually do it however no one carrys the harness for the new units (checked autopro/repco etc) as they include reverse camera and navigation options so there is heaps more pins than the plug on the kenwood patch harness.

johnvk7 12-04-2011 11:32 AM

Subaru don't usually give out master codes, things may have changed but I doubt it.

oneten 13-04-2011 12:07 AM

Ive unplugged my battery a few times now and never ever had an issue with the Brant... Im at a loss to see why everyone is so scared of it?

nauli 13-04-2011 08:38 AM

Early Brants will hold the code in backup for between a few hours and a few days but that's all. Brants from MY03 onwards have an upgraded backup battery and will (theoretically) hold your code for up to 3 months.

oneten 13-04-2011 11:14 AM

TMI on the brant Kato? I dont wanna provide opportunists with that sort of info i suppose...

Anyway thats Kinda scary to know about the Early BRANT's, thought the usercode would have been stored in some sort of non-volatile RAM memory rather than rely on battery backup to remember the code... thats pretty piss poor.