Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Jap Spec Exedy ? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/4315-jap-spec-exedy.html)

AC Schnitzer 16-03-2006 01:39 PM

Jap Spec Exedy ?

I just gave MMS a buzz enquiring about exedy clutches and apparently they said they don't carry Exedy but, they do carry Daikin Exedy clutches.

I'm puzzled cause I've never heard of them and what I was told its from japan and they share the same range of products as exedy. I'm looking at a full face organic.

Anyone can confirm this ? are they any good ? :confused:

BALISTC 16-03-2006 01:42 PM

EXEDY Globalparts Corporation, distributes standard, heavy duty, sports performance and racing clutches.

EXEDY Globalparts Corporation is a subsidiary of EXEDY Corporation.

EXEDY is indeed one of the worlds leading manufactures of automotive clutch assemblies. We consistently deliver first rate quality and service to top vehicle manufacturers across the globe who demand only the best when installing their manual transmission packages.

In the automotive aftermarket, EXEDY products are sold over the counter in over 80 countries.

EXEDY, a Japan-base corporation, has manufactured EXEDY and Daikin brand clutch assemblies along with other drive train components for over 75 years. EXEDY products have been present in the North America since 1968 under the Daikin name, EXEDY and Daikin Clutch products have been manufactured in the United States since 1988 to serve both Original Equipment and aftermarket customers in North, Central, and South America.

Therefore, Exedy and Daikin Exedy are the SAME

AC Schnitzer 16-03-2006 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Exedy and Daikin Exedy are the same.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok.. price range is big.

Exedy Full face organic: $649 (cheapest I've found includes pressure plates etc)

Daikin Exedy "": $385 ! (likewise) :eek:

BALISTC 16-03-2006 01:49 PM

Going by the prices you've been quoted, the Daikin Exedy is a Daikin "heavy duty" clutch IE replacement item with a slightly heavier pressure plate. The difference between a Daikin STi replacement clutch and a Daikin WRX replacement clutch, is the 14% heavier pressure plate, and thats probably what you've been quoted on, especially for that price.

The proper name for that clutch isnt Daikin Exedy, its Daikin, but most places just refer to them as Daikin Exedy.

A proper Exedy performance clutch has a high performance purple burst proof pressure plate, and a decent performance disk in it.

AC Schnitzer 16-03-2006 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Going by the prices you've been quoted, the Daikin Exedy is a Daikin "heavy duty" clutch IE replacement item with a slightly heavier pressure plate. The difference between a Daikin STi replacement clutch and a Daikin WRX replacement clutch, is the 14% heavier pressure plate, and thats probably what you've been quoted on, especially for that price.

A proper Exedy performance clutch has a high performance purple burst proof pressure plate, and a decent performance disk in it.[/QUOTE]

I see.. so other than a heavier pressure plate, everything is completely the same as a typical exedy full face organic clutch ?

I'm more worried about my stock gearbox and the quality of the clutch.

Intra 16-03-2006 02:07 PM

Remember, you will suffer some "deceleration" NVH with the Exeddy SO kits.

AC Schnitzer 16-03-2006 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Intra]Remember, you will suffer some "deceleration" NVH with the Exeddy SO kits.[/QUOTE]

I did a numerous amount of searches and apparently exedy was pretty much the recommended ones. Any idea if there are other alternatives ?

scoobysix 18-03-2006 02:43 AM

There's this clutch place everyone seems to recommend, can't really remember the name... Ross something?

waxdass 18-03-2006 09:18 AM

ross @ autoclutch in ossi park

BALISTC 18-03-2006 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=AC Schnitzer]I see.. so other than a heavier pressure plate, everything is completely the same as a typical exedy full face organic clutch ?

I'm more worried about my stock gearbox and the quality of the clutch.[/QUOTE]

No.

The Daikin stock clutch and Daikin "upgrade" STI clutch are the same apart from the 14% heavier pressure plate.

The Exedy clutch is totally different. Better pressure plate, better disk, and more cost.