Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Removing STI Logo From Fog Light Covers (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/44059-removing-sti-logo-fog-light-covers.html)

phoenix 13-08-2011 09:47 AM

Removing STI Logo From Fog Light Covers

Picked up my splitters and fog light covers yesterday and I am undecided as to whether I should leave the the logo on the fog light covers or not. I'm not sure if I prefer the look of them plain ??

Anyway, has anyone ever removed them and if so is it easy enough to remove without causing any damage or leaving blemishes on the paint.

Any advice or tips incase I decide to remove them would be great :)

Thanks

MY00GC8 13-08-2011 09:56 AM

ask Shane 'xsv4rce' he did it to his, but cant remember how..

RoughStilin 13-08-2011 10:08 AM

Are you just talking about the stickers? If so: -

1. Use a heat gun on a low setting from a distance, or a hairdryer.
3. Heat up the decal gently. Don’t get too close. Around 60 - 80 mm distance initially, more as required. Use your own judgment here.
3. Once the glue on the decal gets sticky underneath from the heat, start to peel off the decal. The decal might slightly shrivel with the heat.
4. Remove glue residue with wax & grease remover.
5 Give it a light polish with normal car wax.

Job done.

I do not know what model you have, but dependant on age and amount of time in the sun, the paint under the decal may be slightly darker than the other part of the cover. Just a point to consider.

Hope this helps.

MY99GT 13-08-2011 10:09 AM

Edit: beaten by more comprehensive answer above.

Install them, put fog lights on for 20 mins or so, then they will peel straight off :-)

phoenix 13-08-2011 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=RoughStilin;596556]Are you just talking about the stickers? If so: -

1. Use a heat gun on a low setting from a distance, or a hairdryer.
3. Heat up the decal gently. Don’t get too close. Around 60 - 80 mm distance initially, more as required. Use your own judgment here.
3. Once the glue on the decal gets sticky underneath from the heat, start to peel off the decal. The decal might slightly shrivel with the heat.
4. Remove glue residue with wax & grease remover.
5 Give it a light polish with normal car wax.

Job done.

I do not know what model you have, but dependant on age and amount of time in the sun, the paint under the decal may be slightly darker than the other part of the cover. Just a point to consider.
[/QUOTE]

These are brand new so the colour shouldn't be an issue.

Your instructions sound like the way to go, so thanks for the help and for the other replies :)

RoughStilin 13-08-2011 10:37 AM

No worries. Just do it slowly though and keep a distance initially from the paint / stickers. You do not want to blemish the paint.

A hairdryer would be safer than a heat gun, due to the heatgun being able to get hotter.

Have fun and post up some pics up if you can of the before and after, looking at the front of the whole car.

phoenix 13-08-2011 10:46 AM

Going to try and get them all on over the next couple of weeks so when I have done it I will put some pics up.

Cheers

Rexy03 13-08-2011 12:46 PM

New ones that havent been baked by the sun come off easy as, I removed mine without the need for heat, if you do use heat it wont need much

TheDoctor 13-08-2011 04:02 PM

How much did a set of brand new ones cost you? Did you get them from Subaru Parts or somewhere else?

Rexy03 14-08-2011 08:47 AM

Mine cost me $200 from Subaru about 3 years ago