Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
STI Master

Miggidy at standard level

Ah ok, so if that is the case, two wires... what about the switches for high beam/ low beam?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

SiriX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to SiriX

It uses the factory wiring to sense all that stuff and passes it onto relays.

Regards,

SiriX
Old 13-04-2006, 10:29 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

flash at standard level

have a snifter at this http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48051 ......
Old 13-04-2006, 11:12 AM
STI Master

interesting argument.

I have had hids in my car for ages, no problems.
Old 13-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Phorte at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Phorte Send a message via AIM to Phorte Send a message via MSN to Phorte

ok ive been biting my tongue for a while but here's my input.

ive been through 4-5 HID kit's, from cheap nasty chinese ones to more expensive german ones. i have a MY98 but i have upgraded to MY99/00 crystal headlights (MY98 had fluted lens).

now i would NOT recommend fitting an HID kit to a classic. the main reason is this:

classic WRX's have reflector headlights whereas HID's require HID projectors. most halogen projectors will be okay with fitting in HID's but ultimately you need HID projectors. reflector's are not made for HID's as reflectors have a blurred cutoff line and the way it is designed means the brighter light output of the HID's will cause GLARE (due to lack of cutoff line), terrible beam pattern and WEAK and HOT SPOTS in the beam.

MY98's fluted headlight (the hazy look) causes a little less glare than crystal headlights but again, the beam pattern is still terrible with the hot/weak spots.

to attempt to overcome my glare (i was getting oncoming traffic flashing me all the time), i aimed my lights lower but all this did was lower my light output and did not stop any glare, just lowered it.

the answer for classic wrx's? so far, there arent any cheap options. there are no direct off the shelf projector headlights that you can simply purchase and put in. im not sure on the quality of the morette/wrc quad headlight conversions? anyone confirm this? maybe with these you can upgrade to stronger lamps (eg hella, etc).

i have spoken to frank at xenonOZ who was more interested in selling me his product than talking to me about halogen's inability to project HID beam's correctly. he believes his hid KIT ($1.5k+) has the correct bulb shielding to stop the glare but i highly doubt this. just the optical physics of reflector versus projector kinda says that it will be no where near possible as to create the same results as projectors.

the only real option to fitting HID's CORRECTLY to a classic is to retrofit projectors into the headlight housing. i will be attempting this over the next 3 months. the steps are simple and in america, people do this as a DIY. all information can be found here: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/index.php. the steps are simple:

1) open up the headlights
2) take out the halogen assembly
3) obtain projectors from a donor vehicle (most common and considered highest quality as from the Accord Euro (Stanley projectors))
4) cut away at the rear of the headlight assembly just enough so that you can mount in the projectors correctly as well as make use of the factory headlight leveller
5) line it up against a wall correctly so that the beam patterns on either side are aligned as well as level
6) make it look pretty and as OEM as possible by adding bezels and shrouds (common are the shrouds out of the E46 bmw)
7) seal it all up using silicone, etc
8) plug in your HID bulb and philips harness. CORRECT OEM HID's use D2S BULBS, not h1/h3/h4/h7/etc

here's a picture of someone doing it in america. hopefully i'll get this result sometime...

now for your post classic shape wrx's, you are lucky as you have alternatives that already have either HID ready lights or projector lights.

bugeyes: morettes have halogen projector assemblies where you can simply replace the projector with an HID projector for a perfect beam pattern. also you have the option of the JDM STI headlights that are HID from factory and nothing else needs to be done.

peanut eyes: you have halogen reflectors i believe but fitting in a projector is very easily as almost zero cutting away is required and they fit perfectly in the slot of the halogen light. there may even be a off the shelf projector alternative - i dont know, i dont own a my03-05

new models: i think they all come out with hid lights? well the STi does aynway.. if the normal WRX doesnt then just wack over the STi lights. voila.

i hope this post has helped answer some questions! i'll post up pics of incorrectly fitted HID beam patterns and perfectly correct projector HID beam patterns soon.

//sp.tek-nrg.net/

12.48 @ 108mph
Old 13-04-2006, 11:58 AM

Phorte at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Phorte Send a message via AIM to Phorte Send a message via MSN to Phorte

ok here is a pic of an aftermarket HID kit fitted into a REFLECTOR HOUSING (bugeyes, classics, etc)

everything you see up on the wall is glare. this is because the reflector is REFLECTING the stronger HID beam everywhere.

another one:

now with pretty little diagrams:

this is how it looks on the road. notice the uncontrolled pattern and hot spots? terrible!

//sp.tek-nrg.net/

12.48 @ 108mph
Old 13-04-2006, 11:59 AM

Phorte at standard level

OK now the good stuff. CORRECT HID PROJECTORS

here's an STI:

an S2000 (considered one of the best projectors)

with words to point bits out:

//sp.tek-nrg.net/

12.48 @ 108mph
Old 13-04-2006, 01:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

SiriX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to SiriX

Phorte: thanks for all the pics... ideally yes you should use a projector lens with HID's however my HID High-Beams are excellent in my MY06 without any Projector Lens, maybe its just the way the reflector is designed? the 06's Low-Beam is HID anyways with the Projector/Self-Leveling/Washing system... but i've replaced the Halogen High-Beams with HID and yeh ... massive difference, beam pattern is pretty spot on, altho do need to align it a bit better (bit higher) but yeh massive difference, no noticable glare either...

Regards,

SiriX
Old 13-04-2006, 02:33 PM

Phorte at standard level

yeah those are your high beams. think the lamps of those are designed differently to the standard reflectors.

//sp.tek-nrg.net/

12.48 @ 108mph
Old 13-04-2006, 05:26 PM
STI Master

nice post man.

I will take photos of my hids tonight if I remember. They are pretty good for reflectors but I was lucky I guess

Tags
h4, hid, kit, wanting