Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
^^ End thread.

Track only car is not a cheap option. They start off cheap(ish) with the "I'll buy a $5-10k GC8" and end up as a $40k+ car that sits in the shed 99% of the year. I would be budgeting a minimum of a couple of engines & gearboxes in the MY12.

The biggest advantage is that you aren't tracking your daily car, so when things do break you can still get to work the next day. The biggest disadvantage is your track car will probably be a lot slower than your daily car (until you spend some good $$ modding it) so then you wonder why you bother. If you can overcome that and justify the cost, then go for it.
speaking from experience Kato?

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Hah, yep!

Every couple of months I consider selling up and buying a MY05 STi. Has all the good bits on it, easy to drive if the mrs wants to take it to work etc etc. Then if I'm doing that, may as well get a Evo 8/9 and be faster. Then I wonder why do that when I have an Evo X in the shed too...

However, GC8 for me is a project. I'm doing a lot of stupid stuff to it that isn't 'because racecar', but more for 'because fun'.

I keep reading everyone posting up that they want a track car, but unless you are going to spend big bucks or have a reason for a dedicated track car (Targa/ARC etc) there really isn't any point for the few laps of RAC or the drags that someone will do in a year.

If you have the time and patience, sure build a project car. If you just want to do a few events a year, slap some r-comps on the newest car you can get and have fun (and as said before drive it, don't smash it).
Master D likes this.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
STI Master

Andy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Andy

B reg is looking to be scrapped finally. And rally rego will be controlled by the rally clubs. Meaning the car will need to be actively competing in rallies to hold its licence.

Just a thought.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

Ideally I would keep flogging the MY12, but at the end of the day its isn't actually my car so I'm coming to a decision that I need a car of my own to do the motorsport side of things. I am a part owner of the company and that cuts me some slack, but I guess predence would be that I wouldn't want another employee of mine flogging their company car around a race track or at the drags, plus I dont think my partners (mum and dad) would be all that thrilled either. Thus my dilema....

The thing that is stalling me from buying the car that I linked is moving it around to events. I dont particularly want to trailer it, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to get it "registered" to drive to and from events? Is it worth the hassle or do I just buy an already road registered car? Having a car that gets minimal use is not really of any consequence, thats just a reality of what I am looking at. I know its not cost effective, but that doesn't bother me greatly either.

If I can buy that linked car, drive it to and from events in its current form to get a grounding at some of these events before possibly getting a little more serious about it all - that would be my ideal. I just want something to punt around at local motorsport events.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

so buy WRX off the company, company can buy you a 'company car' and you have your track toy / personal car, and you can drive the company car for work duties, like everyone else does.

I drive a work car, my WRX is MY car.. although, technically, I have done more laps around barbs in my work hilux, than I have in any other car I've owned.. hmm
Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

If I can take luxobarge around . . . where's the problem

On a serious note - I fully understand your concerns Brendon.
Master D likes this.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Burnout!

I don't. I've done the phulleh hecktic company car. I've had the parents whinge at me. I've had the accountant whinge at me. But it was the best money pit I have had to date.

The biggest issue is you are worried what you parents will say if something breaks. Been there done that. That is something you have to get over, or 'buy a track car' for.

A stockish MY12 is not just going to fall apart at RAC or the drag strip any more than it will fall apart on the freeway or a spirited hills run.

If you must purchase a 'track car' get a road registered one. From what I can gather you are not wanting to do Targa/ARC with a full cage so B-reg/trailers/permits would be far too much trouble to do a couple of skid pans.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

OK, fully hectik company car it is............you are personally responsible for anything I fuck up on it Kato hahahahahaha. Oh dear, please be kind car gods.

I still need to get the old man into a hobby, I'm 12 months from retiring him I reckon - sooner if he gets on my nerves. I might con(vince) him to buy a car we can track. Tried fishing, but he hasn't got good seas legs unfortunately. He sucks at golf and gave up, hopefully cars will be a winner.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Chess?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Burnout!

Here's a mod list to get you started:

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-dri...to-mobile.html

Tags
car, rally, reg, road